Audio By Carbonatix
The Country Office of the World Health Organization (WHO), has presented assorted medical supplies and trauma kits to the Western Regional Directorate of the Ghana Health Service to support with the management of the Apeatse disaster.
The medical supplies included 80 rolls of cotton wool, 452 pieces of gauze bandage, 160 packs of plaster, pleural drainage Systems and, 400 closed wound suction units.
The rest are sutures, surgical drainage, and plaster casting.
Dr. Rafiq Okine, on behalf of the Country Representative of the WHO said, the much-needed medical supplies were to support the management of all forms of injuries, including surgical operations for affected Apeastse victims receiving treatment in the various hospitals in the Region.
He said, "I also wish to extend our deepest condolences to the families who lost their loved ones in the last Thursday's tragic incident ".
During the donation the Western Regional Health Director, Dr. Yaw Ofori Yeboah passionately appealed to other organizations to support the Western Region Health Directorate to enable them care for victims who were seriously injured during Thursday’s explosion.
Dr. Ofori Yeboah said the health directorate is working assiduously in making sure that the various health facilities where the victims were taken to, are on top of administering the best medical care for them.

Speaking to JoyNews on the sidelines of the donation, Dr. Yeboah indicated that there is still a lot to be done in terms of caring for those on admission.
Dr. Yeboah noted how such emergencies always put a strain on resources for routine clinical duties, thus lauded the emergency response from all well meaning organisations to control the situation.
"We appreciate how people have responded to our request for blood and supported the exercise but there is still the need for such essential commodities."
Dr. Yeboah, therefore, encouraged the public to assist in that direction for optimum health care benefits.
He expressed gratitude to the medical staff at the various hospitals for their swiftness in managing such a huge national disaster.
"For some of the health workers even without issuing authority for them to come to the hospital to help, a number of them who were on leave and off duty hearing what has happened, on their own volition, rushed to the facilities," he indicated.
Dr. Yaw Yeboah said, "So far, two persons have been airlifted to the capital for treatment, four critically ill transferred to Effia Nkwanta, while 31 cases are currently being managed at the Tarkwa Government Hospital."
Latest Stories
-
Ghana Immigration Service trains 40 officers ahead of E-Visa rolloutÂ
12 minutes -
MPC maintains policy rate at 14.0% after 130th meeting
14 minutes -
Sierra Leone receives first group of West African deportees from US
34 minutes -
Meta CEO tells employees he does not expect more company-wide layoffs this year
40 minutes -
Police officers who guarded Capitol sue to block Trump’s $1.8 billion ‘slush fund’
45 minutes -
AETC President advocates energy and technology integration for a united Africa at 2026 conference
53 minutes -
ISODEC rejects Ghana’s IMF PCI request, pushes for alternative economic strategy
53 minutes -
Wontumi Trial: Ex Deputy Lands Minister says concessionaires were encouraged to reclaim degraded mining lands
1 hour -
Parliament resumes tomorrow with major legislative agenda on governance, sector reforms
1 hour -
Ebola vaccine could take nine months as death toll continues to rise, WHO warns
1 hour -
Counsellors urge trauma victims to break silence and pursue healing
1 hour -
GNFS contains midnight shop fire at Effiduase in Eastern Region
1 hour -
AG closes case in GIIF ‘Sky Train’ trial
2 hours -
Evalue Ajomoro Gwira NDC members petition party leadership over alleged electoral manipulation
2 hours -
Base Movement Ghana dissolves all positions in major internal reorganisation
2 hours