Audio By Carbonatix
YouTube has agreed to pay $24.5m (£18.6m) to settle a lawsuit brought by Donald Trump, filed after the video platform suspended his account in the wake of the 6 January attack on the US Capitol.
The settlement from the video streaming giant's parent company Alphabet - which also owns Google, comes after social media sites X/Twitter and Facebook also agreed to pay Trump for suspending his accounts.
Trump had accused YouTube and other tech companies of political bias, claiming they had unfairly censored conservative voices after the Capitol riot in 2021.
At the time of his suspension, social media companies said that Trump risked inciting further violence in Washington DC.
As part of Monday's settlement, YouTube will pay $22m to the Trust for the National Mall, a non-profit group that is aiming to raise $200m to build a new ballroom at the White House.
Another $2.5m will be paid to other organisations and individuals who joined Trump's lawsuit, including the American Conservative Union.
YouTube is the latest major platform to settle with the president.
In January, Facebook's parent company Meta agreed to a $25m settlement, with $22m earmarked for Trump's presidential library.
A month later, social media platform X - a company that was purchased by Trump ally Elon Musk in 2022 - settled for a reported $10m.
All of Mr Trump's social media accounts have since been reinstated.
The settlements come as Silicon Valley has generally taken a more conciliatory tone towards the president. The CEOs of Alphabet, Meta and X all sat in the front row for his inauguration, signalling a shift in relations between the Republican Party and the tech sector.
The social media giants have also taken measures to loosen content moderation on their platforms, which Republicans had claimed amounted to a violation of free speech.
Last week, YouTube said it planned to restore several accounts that had been banned for repeatedly making false claims about Covid and the 2020 presidential election.
"YouTube values conservative voices on its platform and recognises that these creators have extensive reach and play an important role in civic discourse," the company wrote to a Republican-controlled congressional committee, explaining the decision.
Latest Stories
-
2026 ACI World Congress: In Accra, a quiet reframe of how emerging markets see themselves
14 minutes -
No break-in, no theft at Ashaiman showroom – Hisense Ghana clarifies
1 hour -
This Saturday on Newsfile: Attack on free speech and return of GN Bank
2 hours -
The evidence before High Court continues to expose weakness of the Republic’s case against Wontumi
2 hours -
I recommended Haruna and Muntaka for ministerial roles — Asiedu Nketia
2 hours -
The Cost of Macroeconomic Stabilization: An Analysis of the Bank ofGhana’s 2025 Financial Deficit
2 hours -
Haruna Iddrisu takes a subtle jibe at Asiedu Nketia’s ‘Thank You Tour’
3 hours -
GSA, PTB donate 50 calibrated weighing scales to Techiman traders on World Metrology Day
3 hours -
US says temporary visa holders should leave to apply for Green Cards
3 hours -
Asiedu Nketia pledges stronger welfare support for former NDC executives
3 hours -
NDC parliamentary leadership reshuffle secured 2024 election victory – Asiedua Nketiah
5 hours -
Agbodza visits Adaklu-Helekpe mudslide victims, warns of more danger around mountain
5 hours -
TTAG urge government’s urgent action on recruitment and postings
5 hours -
World Vision Ghana brings joy to Wa West children with mass birthday celebration
5 hours -
Health Ministry announces mop-up exercise for validation and posting of health professionals
5 hours