Dancehall artiste, Shatta Wale, has gained a temporary reprieve in the GHc10 million defamation suit brought against him by event managers, Charter House.
Counsel for Shatta Wale, known in real life as Charles Nii Armah Mensah Jnr, argued that Charter House Ghana Limited is not a known legal entity in Ghana and therefore cannot bring a suit against the artiste.
The Plaintiffs commenced the case in the name of two plaintiffs – Charter House Ghana Limited and Mr. Iyiola Ayoade, but defence lawyers argued at Monday’s hearing that there is no company called Charter House Ghana Limited.
According to him, there is a registered company called Charter House Productions Limited which is different from the one that brought the suit against his client and therefore asked the court to strike out the case.
Counsel for the plaintiffs vehemently opposed the arguments of Shatta Wale's lawyers. He argued that by law, if for example his client sued as Egbert Faibille Junior and the full name is Egbert Isaac Faibille Junior, the court could not possibly say that because it sued as Egbert Faibille Junior, it lacked capacity to bring the suit.
He maintained that the proper thing the court would do is direct the plaintiffs to amend their pleadings.
Charter House is expected to file their amendments before close of day Tuesday, December 9, Myjoyonline.com has learnt.
The trial is expected to commence in January 2015 after the plaintiffs have filed their amendments.
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- Artistes paid to put my name in their songs - Appietus
- 'I never invested in Menzgold' - Okyeame Kwame
- We dated for 5 years – Adekunle Gold confirms getting married to Simi
- Married life with Annica has been amazing - Okyeame Kwame
- Video: Yvonne Okoro reveals recording sex tape with ex-boyfriend
- I admire Abedi Pele so much – Adina
- Video: Adekunle Gold, Simi release new song to celebrate their wedding
- Daddy Lumba, Kojo Antwi comparison impossible - Okyeame Kwame
- Photos: Ataa Mensah of 'Showcase in Ga' dies at 91
- Video/Photos: Daughters of Glorious Jesus pay courtesy call to Multimedia Group
- Video: I've forgiven my parents for throwing me away when I was born – Don Little
- I'm not bothered by the young ones using my songs - Kojo Antwi
- Video: Women who earn more than their partners abuse them – D Cryme
- Video: Creative Arts has been neglected - Sidney
- Video: I’ll be tagged greedy if I disclose how much I invested with Menzgold – Lil Win