The Seventh Parliament of the Fourth Republic would be constituted on January 6, 2017, ahead of the official swearing-in of President-elect Nana Akufo-Addo, on Saturday, January 7.
Below is a full list of the incoming Parliament leadership.
Speaker: Professor Aaron Mike Oquaye
Prof. Oquaye is a distinguished Lawyer and Historian. He served as the Second Deputy Speaker of the House between 2009 and 2013.
He was the Member of Parliament for Dome-Kwabenya from 2005 to 2013.
He has also served as Ghana's High Commissioner to India from 2001 to 2004, Minister of Energy from 2005 to 2006, and Minister of Communications from 2006 to 2009.
First Deputy Speaker: Mr Joseph Osei Owusu
Mr Joseph Osei Owusu is a Lawyer and Member of Parliament for Bekwai.
Second Deputy Speaker: Mr Alban Bagbin
Mr Alban Bagbin is a Lawyer with vast experience in the Legislature.
Majority Leader: Osei Kyei-Mensah Bonsu
Mr Osei Kyei-Mensah Bonsu would be assisted by the Member of Parliament for Dome Kwabenya, Madam Sarah Adwoa Safo.
Majority Whip: Kwasi Ameyaw Cheremeh
Minority Leader: Haruna Iddrisu
Mr Haruna Iddrisu is the National Democratic Congress (NDC) Member of Parliament for Tamale South.
Mr Iddrisu, the outgoing Minister of Employment and Labour Relations, has served on a number of committees in Parliament including the Appointments Committee, the Constitutional, Legal and Parliamentary Committee, as well as the Judicial Committee.
Deputy Minority Leader: James Klutse Avedzi
Mr Avedzi is Member of Parliament for Ketu North. He is a Chartered Accountant and has served in Parliament for 12 years. He is the Chairman of the Finance Committee of Parliament.
Minority Chief Whip: Mohammed Muntaka
Mr Muntaka maintains his position.
Deputy Minority Chief Whip:
- Ahmed Ibrahim, Member of Parliament for Banda, Ahmed Ibrahim,
- Comfort Doyoe Cudjoe-Ghansah, Member of Parliament for Ada East
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Speaker to name, shame MPs who are always late
- Office of Special Prosecutor: L.I. reaches Parliament – Gov't claims
- Akufo-Addo’s Free SHS policy law plan a joke – Minority
- NDC 'astonished' at President's 'my appointees are clean claim'
- Photo story: Furious Thursday turns to funny Monday at Adentan demo
- Kojo Bonsu pledges to make NDC 'most attractive party'
- ‘It’s long overdue’: MP accuses gov't of feet-dragging over anti-graft law
- Akufo-Addo leaves for a day's visit to Qatar
- NPP Youth Organiser elected IYDU Vice Chair
- Mahama takes campaign tour to Ashanti Region
- Roads Minister cuts sod for the rehabilitation of Axim Nsein Roads
- Develop strong bonds of co-operation – Akufo-Addo tells MPs, MMDCEs
- I respect Akufo-Addo for his values, principles – Rawlings
- I don’t respond to aspirants; I respond to presidential candidates – Akufo-Addo to NDC aspirants
- No monthly allowance for public boards – Finance Minister