It has emerged that ex-President John Mahama will not lose a night’s sleep in his attempt to raise the ‘bounty’ placed on filing for his party’s flagbearership.
An appointee in the ex-President’s administration has revealed that a former constituency Chairman who is a successful businessman is paying half of the GH¢400,000.
Felix Kwakye Ofosu said besides that, a group of 420 sympathisers of Mr. Mahama have tasked themselves with GH¢1,000 each and will donate same towards the ex-President’s course.
Felix Kwakye Ofosu
That is enough to cater for the additional GH¢20,000 the flagbearer aspirants of the National Democratic Congress (NDC) will pay for nomination forms.
But it doesn’t end there “…earlier in the week when John Mahama went to the Asawase constituency, they said irrespective of the amount that is charged they are willing to pay for his nomination forms,” the former Deputy Communications Minister revealed.
The MPs for JM have also launched a short-code to raise funds to support the campaign, Mr Ofosu said on Newsfile on Joy FM/Joy News TV Saturday.
Defending the GH¢420,000 fee, Mr. Ofosu also reiterated the words of the General Secretary of the NDC, Asiedu Nketia that the ability of the candidates to raise the amount will confirm their ability to lead fundraising for the party’s 2020 campaign.
“You should be able to sell your vision to the people in a way that they will be willing to pay some money to support your campaign,” he noted.
He added that he disagrees with those arguing that the NDC has discarded its social democratic principles by charging that high amount as filing fees.
He explained that the Electoral College that will be taking part in the flagbearer elections is very huge and the party will have to cough up the money one way or the other.
The NDC is however not only relying on the monies from the aspirants to meet the estimated GH¢8million that the election will cost, but Mr.Ofosu also said. The party has other fundraising means to rely on, he noted.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Let's protect our peace by rejecting vigilantism - Methodist Bishop
- Make U/W 'everlasting stronghold' for NPP - Minister to NPP
- CID boss’ conduct ‘indefensible’ - Kasser-Tee fires
- Free SHS is most people-centered policy in Ghanaian history - Yagaba Chief
- Agalga responds to arms importation controversy; says gov’t being dishonest
- No space for conflicts; end the violence now – Akufo-Addo to ‘Chereponis'
- EIU report: NDC rubbishes 2020 victory prediction for NPP
- NDC issued permit for arms importation 2 days before leaving office - Gov’t reveals
- Nayiri lauds Akufo-Addo’s intervention in roads sector
- Philanthropist to industrialise Mfantseman constituency
- We’ve cleared arrears - Health Minister on trainee allowances
- DCEs abandon terrorism meeting; minister outraged
- Ghanaians angry with NPP, NDC – JOY restrategises for 2020 victory
- EIU predicts 2020 victory for Akufo-Addo
- Gov’t urged to consult broadly on Nima regeneration project