2 Dead as land dispute turns ugly in Kumasi

Two persons have been confirmed dead following clashes between scrap dealers and some people claiming to be indigenes of Aboabo in Kumasi, over the ownership of a parcel of land at Dagomba Line.

According to the Police, the two unidentified men, believed to have sustained gunshot and machete wounds, were victims of latest clashes which erupted on Thursday night. 

Over 100 persons suspected to be connected with the violence, have been picked for questioning by the Regional Police Command.

What began as a turf war between scrap dealers and persons claiming to be indigenes of Aboabo Goroo left three people in critical condition on Tuesday.

At least, three houses were torched with seven other wooden structures demolished by feuding sides.

The two factions are said to have renewed their rivalry over the land, few hours after members of the Asokore Mampong Municipal Security Council inspected the disputed land in a bid to resolve the impasse.

An unspecified number of people from both factions in the dispute also sustained machete and gunshot wounds. 

Public Relations Officer of the Ashanti Regional Police Command, ASP Godwin Ahianyoh, who confirmed the deaths said a team of police and military personnel dispatched to the place, had a hectic time in restoring calm.

“Two persons are confirmed dead. Their identity is not yet communicated to me. Who and who are involved I cannot say. I am sure after the MUSEC [Municipal Security Committee] meeting, whatever the update is and their identities would be known,” he told Nhyira FM.

According to him, the residents took advantage of the cover of darkness and fired indiscriminately into areas occupied by opposing factions.

The armed men fired petrol bombs as well.

“When the police got there, they met these two factions seriously fighting among themselves, inflicting machete wounds, brandishing machetes, clubs; any offensive weapon that they laid their hands on. Police had to call in the Fire Service because they were setting [ablaze] houses, structures and anything that they see. Then the military came in to assist us,” ASP Godwin Ahianyoh added.