Qatar became the only host nation to lose the opening game in World Cup history after falling 2-0 to Ecuador on Sunday at the Al Bayt Stadium.
Playing in their first-ever World Cup, the Maroons’ inexperience and lack of quality shone early in the game as Enner Valencia scored in under three minutes. A goal that was later ruled out for an offside.
13 minutes after, Valencia, the Ecuador captain, won a penalty when he was brought down by goalkeeper Saad Al Sheeb and slotted in beautifully for the opener.
The South Americans doubled their lead 31 minutes in. Valencia again.
The Fenerbahçe forward headed in the second from an Angelo Preciado precise lofted pass into the box in the 31st minute.
The first half finished 2-0 in favour of Ecuador.
In the second half, Ecuador seemed to have taken their leg off the gas a bit, with Qatar also having some good spells in the game.
Ecuador now leads Group A with three points ahead of tomorrow’s meeting between Senegal and the Netherlands.
- Fuel prices to increase by 7%-13% from February 1, 2023 – IES
- The Fourth Estate uncovers fraud in SHS computerised placement
- My wife has left me because of my child with another woman – Osofo Kyiri Abosom
- Full video: SHS computerised placement for sale
- New chief falls from palanquin during coronation in Central Region
- Debt Exchange Programme: Article 71 Office Holders must take a 50% haircut – Labour Federation
- Haruna led Minority leadership had challenges working with Bagbin – Asiedu Nketia
- Education Ministry cautions against payment of money for school placement
- 8 persons arrested in ‘School placement for sale’ exposé
- Assault on Latif Iddrisu: No policeman touched him – Attorney General
- Stop National Cathedral project, cut-down government expenditure and leave our money alone -Nurses to government
- 3 grabbed for pulling down storey building at Cantonments
- NTDs in Ghana; Let’s act now, let’s act together, let’s invest in the fight!
- School placement for sale exposé: Culprits will be dealt with – Education Minister
- Dancers are footsoldiers of Afrobeats, their impact is huge – DWP Dance Academy US manager
- WAEC explains BECE grading system
- Ahuofe Patri loses mother
- Don’t stop attending church because of my broken marriage – Osofo Kyiri Abosom tells congregation
- Managers of China Mall, Shoprite, Palace Mall arrested for tax violations
- Let’s not abandon ‘Azonto’ genre in music – DWP Dance Academy US manager
- There is no coming back from this – Husband of Yellow Sisi Waakye seller
- Kwabena Kwabena celebrates Agya Koo Nimo on 92nd birthday
- Modernisation and harmonisation of regulatory frameworks critical for universal broadband coverage by 2030 – MTN Group CEO
- Exposé on school placement: Education Minister and I should take full responsibility – Prof. Opoku Amankwah
- $350k STEM project inaugurated in Accra