Germany will be looking to make amends for their performances at the 2018 World Cup when they travel to Qatar for this year’s edition of the tournament as they surprisingly finished bottom of the group stage last time around in Russia.
That was then followed up with another underwhelming display at Euro 2020, where England proved to be too strong in the round of 16.
That saw Hansi Flick replace Joachim Low at the helm, with the former Bayern Munich boss desperate to make an impact at his first major tournament as the main man.
The four-time World Cup champions have not been handed an easy draw, though, as they will have to deal with the likes of 2010 champions Spain, Asian powerhouse Japan and Concacaf representative Costa Rica in Group E.
Full squad below…
Goalkeepers: Neuer, ter Stegen, Trapp;
Defenders: B. Kotchap, Ginter, Günter, Kehrer, Klostermann, Raum, Rudiger, Schlotterbeck, Süle;
Midfielders: Brandt, Füllkrug, Goretzka, Götze, Gundogan, Hofmann, Kimmich;
Forwards: Adeyemi, Gnabry, Havertz, Moukoko, Müller, Musiala, Sané.
A 4-2-3-1 system is a familiar sighting with Flick in charge.
It’s more than likely to be Neuer’s last World Cup in goal as Muller falls in just behind Havertz in attack with Gnabry and Sane attacking from the wings.
Kimmich and Gundogan should provide the defensive stability in front of the centre-back pairing of Sule and Rudiger.
Klostermann slots in at right back, with Hoffenheim’s Raum on the opposite flank.
Germany XI (4-2-3-1): Neuer; Klostermann, Sule, Rudiger, Raum; Kimmich, Gundogan; Gnabry, Muller, Sane; Havertz
- Christian Atsu: Hatayspor official says there was mistaken identity, player still not found
- A-G asks Auditor-General to unpublish ‘premature’ Covid-19 Audit Report
- Tema Motorway is gone; apply common sense when driving – Expert tells drivers
- Airports Company ordered to release Frontiers Healthcare Service Ltd contract to Joy News
- We’ll not allow the Judiciary to be used to intimidate Ablakwa from carrying out mandate – Minority
- DDEP: We are testing Ofori-Atta’s Christianity – Individual bondholders on call for exemption
- Debt Exchange: Over GH¢31bn of bonds to be restructured will mature this year
- Hold Akufo-Addo and National Security responsible if Ablakwa is harmed – Ras Mubarak
- Let’s pray KT Hammond and Steven Amoah don’t exchange blows at Trade Ministry – Murtala Mohammed
- Domestic Debt Exchange: We’ve achieved more than 50% of participation – Deputy Finance Minister
- ‘Now I deliver food, but once I played football for my country’
- Linda Awuni to contest Adentan constituency candidature in upcoming NDC primaries
- OBG signs MoU with Africa Medical Information Centre for new sectoral analysis
- Korba CEO wins ‘Fintech Personality of the Year’ at 2022 Ghana Fintech Awards
- The Forbes Billionaires List: Africa’s billionaires
- Alex Osei-Kojo: People, beliefs, oil and gas governance in Ghana
- Jojo Wollacott makes injury return in Charlton friendly
- Morocco not required to provide certificate of good conduct in human rights
- Goverment seeks Indian investment in oil and gas sector
- UK sends life-saving support to earthquake-hit Turkey and Syria
- Agric Ministry denies entering into agreement to import pork from USA
- SuperSport to introduce local languagues in Commentary
- Actor Fred Nuamah to contest for NDC parliamentary primaries at Ayawaso West Wuogon
- Auditor-General complied with the law by publishing Covid-19 Audit Report – Avedzi to Dame
- Akufo-Addo swears in 21 new High Court judges