Ghana’s amateur boxing team, the Black Bombers look set to miss out on this year’s African Boxing Championships.
Cameroun are scheduled to host the competition from June 13-25, 2023.
The Ghana Boxing Federation informed JoySports the Ministry of Sports agreed to fund the $70,000 bill for the Championships. But with only five days left to the tournament, the ministry has had a change of heart.
“We are supposed to leave on June 10. The minister assured us, but when we followed up, he said the ministry’s priority now, is to fund qualification to major tournaments,” the GBF’s communications director told Joy Sports.
“But we were able to dialogue with the NSA Director-General to convince him it [Championships] is a preparatory grounds for us to test the readiness of the boxers to meet their other African opponents, whom they’ll meet at the Olympic qualifiers.
“They see the Olympic qualifiers as more of a priority than the African Championships, so we are not sure of going.”
Meanwhile, the team’s preparations for the Championships have not been ideal, with Ofosu Asare, their head coach, and the GBF president resorting to private funds and resources to fund national team training.
- PAC’s order to MMDAs to stop engaging our services is unfortunate and surprising – Zoomlion
- Over 350 farmers receive 53,000 tree crop seedlings in Sekyere Kumawu District
- ‘Things have deteriorated’ – E.L spotted at #OccupyJulorBiHouse protest Day 2
- Akufo-Addo was not sincere with Ghanaians in his self-assessment of fighting corruption – Domelevo
- Tunisia arrests cartoonist for drawings mocking PM
- Missing Nigerian journalist found dead in pit
- Don’t disenfranchise persons with disabilities – Ghana Federation of Disability to EC
- Man arrested for dishonestly selling land, others for ₵230k
- FIFA boss Infantino discusses football growth in Rwanda with President Paul Kagame
- #OccupyJulorBiHouse: The dramatic arrests, harassment, abuse, and more on Day 1
- MTN MoMo, ECG and Hubtel partner to provide enhanced Bill Payment Solutions to customers
- Lionel Messi: I’ll like to be a sporting director after I retire
- Message from the Morning Man: Why Do You Do It?
- Labadi Beach gets a refresh on World Cleanup Day
- New York Police find drugs in trapdoor at fentanyl nursery