Audio By Carbonatix
Ticket sales for the Women’s World Cup in Australia and New Zealand have set a new record, one day out from the start of tournament.
Close to 1.4 million tickets have been purchased for the 64 matches running until 20 August, surpassing the record total for the tournament eight years ago in Canada.
The Matildas’ three group matches are effectively sold out, although the Fifa ticketing website shows “low availability” – mostly wheelchair access tickets – for the 27 July match against Nigeria in Brisbane.
Flag bearers walking across the Sydney Harbour Bridge during a pre-tournament event
Football world arrives on Australian soil as Matildas eye Women’s World Cup legacy
Few tickets remain for England’s three group matches. Interest has also been strong for the United States’ games, though several categories are available for the reigning world champions’ game against Portugal on 1 August at the 43,217-capacity Eden Park in Auckland.
Ticket allocations for all five matches at Stadium Australia in Sydney, including the final on 20 August have been all but exhausted. The former Olympic stadium at Homebush holds just over 80,000 fans, but Fifa said on Wednesday its capacity for the tournament is 75,784.
The 2015 tournament in Canada sold 1,353,506 tickets, setting a new record at the time.
Smaller stadiums at the 2019 tournament in France meant only 1.3 million tickets were available. Fifa claimed over 1.2 million were sold, but other counts have the attendance number closer to 1.1 million.
Both the French and Canadian tournaments involved 52 matches, while the expanded draw in 2023 means tickets to 64 matches are available; 29 are in New Zealand and 35 in Australia.
20,000 free tickets to matches in New Zealand were issued last week in response to slow ticket sales, and prominent Kiwis including former prime minister Jacinda Ardern have used their profile to urge people to attend the matches.
Fifa’s chief women’s football officer, Sarai Bareman, said on Tuesday more than 1.5 million people are expected to attend the tournament across the two countries. At that stage, 1.3 million tickets had been sold, including 350,000 in New Zealand.
“That is a huge uptake for New Zealanders for a major sporting event,” she said.
Latest Stories
-
JoyNews-Republic Bank Habitat Fair finale turns homeownership dreams into real possibilities
12 minutes -
Bamiri chief commissions KG block, guest house to boost education and revenue
30 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Yaa Asantewaa Girls’ going ‘beck’ to Tanoso after Bishop Herman deals them early exit
54 minutes -
Data Protection Commission acquires two vehicles to strengthen data protection enforcement
1 hour -
NSMQ 2026: Holy Child School storms back from two-year NSMQ absence to book One-Eighth ticket
3 hours -
GNFS dismisses reports of unpaid 2025 rent allowance
4 hours -
Gordon Asare-Bediako steps down from NPP Communications Director race, backs Dennis Aboagye
4 hours -
GES dismisses requirement for newly promoted teachers to submit documents for salary adjustments
4 hours -
Meko Bono 2026: Vice President pledges agricultural revival as Atebubu hosts grand homecoming
5 hours -
Russian skydiver Sergey Boytcov sets world record with 11,551-metre stratosphere jump
5 hours -
Ablakwa-led committee submits five reports to Mahama ahead of 2027 AU chairmanship
5 hours -
Africa not seeking Western cash in reparations campaign – Ablakwa
5 hours -
Production decline, reserve depletion threaten Ghana’s upstream sector – Jinapor
6 hours -
Surveyors caution against treating compensation disputes as professional misconduct
6 hours -
Mahama calls for AU dialogue on migration after South Africa xenophobic tensions
6 hours