Twenty-eight died in road accidents during the Christmas festivities.
Some 148 individuals also suffered various injuries as 133 accidents occurred between 24th and 26th December 2021.
This is according to data compiled by the Ghana Police Service’s Motor Traffic and Transport Department (MTTD).
Road crashes remain an issue of concern as many lives are lost yearly to the menace.
The Police MTTD has compiled accident data over the years to understand the situation in a bid to stem the tide.
The period under review first looked at the days preceding the festive occasion.
For the period 19th December to 25th December (seven days), 81 lives were lost. In addition, some 378 persons were injured from 373 accidents.
Accra was the worst hit with 156 reported accident cases, followed closely by the Ashanti region with 90 reported cases.
The Savanna Region is the only region without a reported accident case. On the other hand, the North East region reported one case.
The MTTD also compiled data for 24th to 26TH December. Twenty-eight lives were lost within this 72-hour window.
Also, 148 others were injured. Again, Accra was the worst hit with 44 reported accident cases, followed closely by the Ashanti region with 22 reported cases.
The Savanna Region did not record any cases within this period as well. In addition, the Ahafo region that previously recorded two cases in the period preceding Christmas did not register any case.
See additional details below;
- I have received calls to stop disconnection exercise – ECG boss
- Bride ‘faints’ briefly as Joe Mettle pops up at her wedding reception
- We are one people – Bawumia and Mahama laud peaceful enskinment of new Yagbonwura
- Ato Forson was criminally reckless in ambulance transaction – Attorney General
- Your electricity bill does not have a party colour – ECG MD
- Akufo-Addo is packing EC with known NPP members – Kofi Adams
- Ghana Immigration Service cancels filling of embarkation and disembarkation cards
- We’ll meter all distribution transformers to fight power theft – Samuel Mahama
- AFCON 2023Q: Goalpost collapses and injures Wollacott in training
- GNFS expresses reservation over reopening of Kejetia Market
- Government must commit to Water Action Agenda – WaterAid Ghana
- Gold-for-Oil program will be impacted by attack on our Benso site – Golden Star Wassa Limited
- The Macallan hosts Accra’s entertainment and business industries to splendid experience
- Akufo-Addo awards Emirates with Presidential Honour for Distinguished Service in fight against COVID-19
- My divorce drew me closer to God – New EC member Rev. Akua Ofori Boateng
- NYA lauds District Assembly Common Fund for role in Youth Resource Centres construction
- Crackdown on fraudulent payrolls as Fair Wages and Salaries Commission hint at audit
- I love listening to music more than recording – Kelvyn Boy
- Bring Mohammed Muntaka to book – NDC executives told
- Uganda Anti-Homosexuality bill: Life in prison for saying you’re gay
- Oforikrom Assembly signs MoU with Crops Research Institute to improve vegetable production
- Woman arrested for cooking after reopening of Kejetia Market
- Saudi government provides parcels to Muslims ahead of Ramadan
- African scientists urge governments to invest in appropriate regulatory mechanisms for biotech products
- NDC primaries: We need a people-centered leader in Ketu North – Edem Agbana