A tragic shooting in a Houston home has left a 4-year-old child dead.
CBS News reports that the incident occurred on Sunday at around 8 p.m. local time when a 3-year-old girl shot her 4-year-old sister.
Five adults, including both children’s parents, were present in the home, but somehow the girls were alone in the bedroom.
“It appears that one parent thought the other parent was maybe watching the other children, when in fact, the two toddlers were left basically unsupervised inside the bedroom,” Harris County Sheriff Ed Gonzalez said during a press conference.
While in the bedroom, the 3-year-old came upon a loaded semi-automatic pistol and fatally shot her sibling. The adults came running when they heard the gunshot and found the 4-year-old on the ground. The adults secured the gun and called 911. The 4-year-old passed away in the home.
Now, prosecutors will decide if any adults will be charged for the accidental shooting, with Gonzalez saying it’s “very likely.”
“It seems like another tragic story of a child getting access to a firearm and hurting someone else,” Gonzalez added, calling the incident “very preventable.” He continued, “Everyone’s impacted, a community’s impacted when a child loses their life in this way.”
“You’ve got to be sure you’re being a responsible gun owner, securing your weapons in a safe place,” he said. “It’s got to be more than just telling young kids not to touch the weapons. You know, we’ve got to do a little more. We see far too many tragic situations like this unfold.”
- Mobile Money transactions in only 2 months of 2023 hit ¢264.1bn
- We would all have sworn to Antoa if my dad was alive – Zanetor Rawlings
- I don’t know – Akufo-Addo on presence or otherwise of Al-Qaeda troops in Ghana
- Kamala Harris urges Ghana’s creditors to help meet debt obligation amid IMF talks
- Speculation that NDC imposed its decision on Minority Caucus is untrue – Sammy Gyamfi
- Popular American filmmaker Spike Lee is in Ghana
- T-Bills auction: sales undersubscribed by 23%; interest rates remain stable
- BoG increases policy rate to 29.5%; loans to remain expensive
- AFCON 2023Q: Osman Bukari salvages point for Black Stars against Angola
- We’re committed to helping Ghana resolve current economic crisis – China assures
- Harris’ visit should accelerate US-Ghana partnerships – Genser
- NDC’s ‘betrayal’ may have been the result of several factors – Dr. Seidu Alidu
- Taking pictures, videos of ballots was not a party directive – Murtala Mohammed
- NDC as a party did not fail Ghanaians – Kofi Adams
- There had been broad consultation, consensus to reject President’s ministerial nominees – Murtala Mohammed
- Israel Laryea is away “on loan” at Influencer Africa
- Patriotism won over partisanship – Annoh-Dompreh on approval of six ministerial nominees
- Playback: PM Express discuss NDCs betrayal
- Fight against galamsey will be won if Akufo-Addo loses power – Kwakye Ofosu
- People fail in life due to their mindset – Motivational speaker
- Become the voice of climate change reporting – Climate Change Fellows urged
- Destination Ghana Global Project announces This Is Africa Festival
- Kamala Harris features Black Sherif, Amaarae on Spotify playlist
- Kwaebibirem United FC to raise funds to support operation of the club
- 9-year-old Fotocopy makes history with two concerts in a day