The bodies of 39 people have been found in a lorry container in Essex.
Police were called by the ambulance service shortly before 01:40 BST after the discovery at Waterglade Industrial Park in Eastern Avenue, Grays.
The lorry driver, a 25-year-old man from Northern Ireland, has been arrested on suspicion of murder.
Essex Police said the lorry travelled from Bulgaria and entered the country via Holyhead, Anglesey, on Saturday.
Early indications are that 38 adults and one teenager have died, the force said.
Ch Supt Andrew Mariner said officers were trying to identify victims but anticipated a “lengthy process”.
“We have arrested the lorry driver in connection with the incident, who remains in police custody as our inquiries continue,” he said.
Home Secretary Priti Patel said she was “shocked and saddened by this utterly tragic incident”.
In June 2000, the bodies of 58 Chinese immigrants were found in the back of a lorry in Dover. A Dutch lorry driver was jailed the following year for their manslaughter.
- Otumfuo destools chief of Asante’s famous Antoa town
- 16 feared dead, over 40 injured in Gomoa Okyereko accident on Accra-Cape Coast highway
- Supreme Court ‘cautions and discharges’ NDC’s Kpessa Whyte after convicting him for contempt
- Ghana branded ambulance found in Dubai in viral video not for sale – National Ambulance Service
- Renowned Economist Dr. Joe Abbey is dead
- Pressure mounts on cedi; loses 9% in value to dollar last week
- Tinubu removes controversial Fuel subsidy in Nigeria
- Parliament writes to EC, declares Assin North seat vacant
- We’re sorry for obnoxious statements about Christianity in history textbook – Ghana Authors & Publishers
- AFCON 2023Q: Nuamah included, Sowah dropped as Hughton names Ghana squad to face Madagascar
- Resign and concentrate on your health; Ahanta West needs development – NDC tells Kojo Kum
- Tariq Lamptey Foundation donates football kits and equipment to two schools in Asamankese
- OccupyGhana shocked at government’s new position on Public Officers Act after ignoring its calls
- Beyoncé celebrates Blue Ivy after she takes stage at Renaissance world tour
- National Cathedral: Only $22.07m out of $58.14m has gone into actual construction – Ablakwa
- Agorkedzi: Another tidal waves destruction leaves one dead, many homeless
- Immediately transfer shares held by JOHL to GNPC – Minority to government
- 2023 U23 AFCON: Kamaldeen Sulemana to be called up to Black Meteors squad for tournament
- Family of late Akwaboah Snr. holds one-week memorial
- POGA 1997 year group celebrates 25th anniversary
- Ghana International School poised to make an impact in Ghana and beyond – Principal discloses
- UNDP, Japan construct reference labs at Kotoka and other ports of entry
- Burning Issues: Pharmacist highlights effect of teenagers’ misuse of contraceptives
- Police Inspector charged with murder for shooting girlfriend to death in Kumasi
- Nana Frimpomaa Akosua Sarpong Kumankumah files to contest CPP flagbearer race