Fifty-four Niger nationals and one Nigerian have been arrested for illegally entering the country.
According to the Bono East Regional Immigration Commander, ACI Enoch Abrokwa Annor, the arrest was carried out by the Regional Immigration command after intelligence gathering.
He added that the suspects, made up of 53 males and 2 females were arrested at Tuobodom Magazine after they were spotted waiting for a vehicle to convey them to their next destination.
“Yesterday at dawn, we had intelligence that some people are converging at a Tuobodom Magazine area, so we sent plain-clothed men to the area to monitor them.
“When they got there, they realised that a lot of foreigners have converged and were waiting for vehicles to pick them to their final destination. So with the support of the Tuobodom chief, the NIB, and the police, we were able to accost them to the Regional office for us to profile them,” he said.
ACI Abrokwa Annor further indicated that investigations revealed that the suspects entered Ghana through unapproved routes in the Upper East Region and were heading towards Ivory Coast.
He noted that preparations are been made to repatriate all 55 immigrants back to Niger.
Though these illegal migrants continue to find their way into the country, ACI Abrikwa Annor has assured the general public that the service will do its best to anyone who enters the country through unapproved routes.
“Initially they told us they were From Cote d’Ivoire en route to Niger but it turned out to be otherwise. They are doing everything to outwit the officers at the borders but well do everything to arrest them and send them back,” he added.
He further cautioned citizens who aid these persons to gain entry into the country to desist from the act as such persons will be dealt with by law.
- Why Dede Ayew is trending on Twitter
- Majority describes Bagbin’s frequent absence as worrying
- E-levy is less than 2%; UK pays 10% and we go there and seek loans from them – Ursula Owusu-Ekuful
- Asamoah Gyan reported me to Kufuor and I’ve never been happy with him to date – K. T. Hammond
- I held outdoor crusades for 5k people at age 5 in Nigeria – Sam George
- Last time I changed my sponge was 12 years ago – Man tells JoyNews
- I spent 50% of my 8-year savings in 2 years – Family man recounts how he survived Covid-19
- I withdrew my SSNIT funds to start a business but Covid-19 didn’t let me – Man recounts
- Market queens in Kumasi opt to pay nomination fee for Alan Kyerematen
- 3 arrested over ‘dangerous’ transportation of huge log in Ejisu
Nicki Minaj and Kenneth Petty hit with lawsuit for alleged fight with Head of Security
Electrochem Ghana Limited and Ada West District Assembly commit to strengthening ties
Trader burnt to death in Sunyani
There’ll be an economic disaster if E-levy fails to go through – Ken Ofori-Atta
Okwawu United announce new management members
Ayawaso Central Assembly steps up ‘Operation Clean Your Frontage’ sensitisation campaign
Apeatse explosion: Negligence, regulation lapses and institutional failures caused incident – Expert
Mary J. Blige says she had to pay herself ‘the highest compliments’ in order to get her confidence back
Chris Brown sued for $20m Over alleged rape
Playback: MacDan speaks about the private jet terminal at KIA
Rihanna went pantless on a date with A$AP Rocky
GPL Week 15 Preview: Hearts play King Faisal, Olympics face Kotoko
President of House of Chiefs calls on GCB Bank Management
A story of 3 sisters who survived an Indian brothel
No meat in Bolgatanga market, Assembly recruits new butchers