Six people were killed at a birthday party in Colorado Springs early Sunday after a man opened fire inside a home before taking his own life.
An unidentified suspect drove to the party, located at a mobile home community, entered the residence where people were gathered and began shooting at around 12:18 a.m., according to Colorado Springs Police. He is believed to be the boyfriend of one of the victims, based on a preliminary investigation.
Children who were at the party were unharmed and are in the custody of family members, police said.
Colorado Springs Police Chief Vince Niski said officers and investigators working the case are “left incredibly shaken.”
“This is something you hope never happens in your own community, in the place that you call home,” Niski said. “When these types of unspeakable acts happen, there is nothing that can be done to fully rebuild what was lost or replace those who are no longer with us.”
Authorities found six people dead at the scene and a man seriously injured when they arrived on scene. That man later died at a hospital. The victims have not been identified.
It was a “senseless act of violence” that has left the community mourning, Colorado Springs Mayor John Suthers said.
“We ask the public’s patience with the investigation and we seek the sensitivity of our media partners as CSPD completes a thorough investigation to provide answers to the families and friends impacted by this tragedy,” Suthers said in a statement Sunday.
- Asking Domelevo to proceed on leave unconstitutional – Supreme Court
- Prof Gyampo slams Akufo-Addo over presidency’s request for CVs of senior EC officials
- Supreme Court strikes out law that allowed government to impose restrictions during Covid-19 pandemic
- Prof. Ama Ata Aidoo passes on aged 81
- Essipong: The Decaying Sports Stadium
- 2023 U23 AFCON: Kamaldeen Sulemana to be called up to Black Meteors squad for tournament
- Fire burns shops at Madina-Ritz junction again
- Gomoa Okyereko accident: Man narrates how his family of 6 survived horrific crash
- Abedi Pele watches Jordan Ayew face off with Andre Ayew at Selhurst Park
- Petrol, diesel prices to stay same; LPG to go down 5% – IES
- Sergio Busquets names 2 players who could replace him at Barcelona
- Why you might struggle with relationships after being single for a while
- Actor Al Pacino, 83, expecting baby with 29-year-old girlfriend
- Sanitary pad taxation: School girls anticipate positive response from Health Ministry
- Accra International Book Festival commiserates with family of Ama Ata Aidoo
- AngloGold incident: 79 illegal miners out of underground mine
- British Vogue’s editor-in-chief, Edward Enninful opens up about fearful childhood
- Edinam Djaton scribes: Let’s try operation feed yourself!
- 10 non-sexual ways to save your relationship from dying out
- King Faisal’s dismissed protest: Fear of God stopped me from attacking GFA DC with gun – Grusah
- Why people choose mismatched partners and 4 ways to make it work for you
- Matthew Opoku Prempeh didn’t celebrate his birthday in Monaco; ignore ‘unintelligent postulations’ – Spokesperson
- Don’t be pressured by political atmosphere to produce substandard work – Roads Minister tells Assin North contractors
- SIM card deactivation: Crowds besiege NIA centres for Ghana Card
- Chamber of Mines CEO reiterates call for security deployment to legal mining sites