Audio By Carbonatix
The 6th edition of the annual Gold Fields Professional Golfers Association (PGA) golf tournament will come off next month following a successful launch on Thursday.
The tournament is slated for December 4 to 17, 2019 at the 18-hole Damang Golf Course in the Western region and is expected to attract over 100 golfers from across the continent.
At the launching ceremony at Gold Fields office in Accra, organizers announced a total price package of GH¢140,000 for the professionals, GH¢5,000 more than the amount dedicated to last year’s tournament. The winner of the professionals' event will pocket GH¢40,000.
For the seniors event, an overall package of GH¢20,000 has been committed with the winner taking home GH¢9,000.
Speaking at the launch, Mr Anthony Kwame Mintah, PGA President said he is expecting a fierce competition.
“Golfers from all around the continent are coming determined to win because the prize money has gone up and golf is all about the money. I’m sure Kodjo Barni will want to win it for the third time but trust me, some of the guys will be coming for him,” he said.
The tournament which started in 2014 has seen only three winners. Vincent Toga, Amos Kobbinah and Kodjo Barni.
Mr Alfred Baku, Goldfields Executive Vice President and Head of West Africa wants to see a new face this year, urging other golfers to improve their game and claim the ultimate prize.
He also revealed Gold Fileds motivation for investing heavily in the relatively unknown sport in the country.
“Our motivation is when it comes to sports in Ghana, golf is the least mentioned. It has always been soccer – Black Stars, Black Meteors. Ghana has a lot of talent and the only way we can actually unearth them is through the tournament we have organizing the sponsorship,” he said.
Adding that; “We have seen it over the last five years that the standard of the game continues to go up. That is really our motivation to ensure that we bring more people into the game of golf and to also ensure that our Pros play at the highest level.”
This year’s tournament is expected to be graced by Otumfuo Osei Tutu II, and Mr Nicholas J. Holland, Chief Executive Officer Goldfields Limited.
--
Latest Stories
-
Youth unemployment remains government’s biggest challenge — Asiedu Nketia
24 minutes -
Cost of borrowing projected to increase despite policy rate hold – banks
25 minutes -
Guardiola to leave Man City after 10 years as boss
29 minutes -
Carrick confirmed as Man Utd permanent manager
35 minutes -
Photos: Parliament reconvenes, opens second meeting of ninth parliament
36 minutes -
Aisha Bengai challenges young women to prioritise business investment over luxury spending
41 minutes -
AMA donates streetlights to improve security and trading conditions at Kantamanto Market
46 minutes -
Registrar of Companies set to delist 318 companies over compliance breaches
48 minutes -
NDC’s Ako Gunn dismisses NPP petition against judge as bid for political relevance
49 minutes -
National Ambulance Service rejects claims that EMTs are poorly trained
52 minutes -
Fire destroys part of cargo truck near Konongo fuel station
58 minutes -
2026 World Cup: No Foden, Trent and Palmer as Tuchel names England squad for tournament
1 hour -
See the areas that will be affected by ECG’s planned maintenance on Friday May 22
1 hour -
Ronaldo scores twice to seal Saudi Pro League at last with Al-Nassr
1 hour -
SSNIT clarifies hotel advertisement, denies sale reports
1 hour