Audio By Carbonatix
Government set to spend ¢9.2 million for the relocation of the passport office at Ridge to pave way for the construction of the interdenominational national cathedral.
Ranking Member on the Foreign Affairs Committee, Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa who says he’s alarmed by the amount questioned why government would allocate such a huge amount into relocating the Passport Office.
The North Tongu legislator said government should make judicious use of the country’s scarce resources by channelling the money to address challenges associated with the implementation of the Free Senior High Policy.
Construction work on the interdenominational National Cathedral at Ridge in Accra is set to begin in March 2020.
Finance Minister, Ken Ofori-Atta, announced this while presenting the 2020 Budget and Economic Policy in Parliament on Wednesday, November 13, 2019.
He noted that procurement processes to select a contractor are expected to conclude by the end of 2019.
Mr Ofori-Atta said the facility is to help unify the Christian community as a place of worship and promote the national conversation on the role of faith in building Ghana.
Secretary to the Board of Trustees of the National Cathedral has defended government’s decision to demolish residential apartments housing judges for the Cathedral.
Rev Victor Kusi Boateng told Joy News critics of demolitions to make way for the construction are neophytes in the subject of construction, hence their criticisms.
There was sporadic dissent when government served notice to construct a National Cathedral at an estimated cost of $100 million.
But Mr Ablakwa insists the construction of the cathedral is a misplaced priority.
The North Tongu legislator in an interview with JoyNews also asked government to make full disclosure the amount it’s spent in pulling down the residence of the High Court judges last year.
Construction work on the interdenominational National Cathedral at Ridge in Accra is set to begin in March 2020.
Finance Minister, Ken Ofori-Atta, announced this while presenting the 2020 Budget and Economic Policy in Parliament on Wednesday, November 13, 2019.
He noted that procurement processes to select a contractor are expected to conclude by the end of 2019.
Mr Ofori-Atta said the facility is to help unify the Christian community as a place of worship and promote the national conversation on the role of faith in building Ghana.
Secretary to the Board of Trustees of the National Cathedral has defended government’s decision to demolish residential apartments housing judges for the Cathedral.
Rev Victor Kusi Boateng told Joy News critics of demolitions to make way for the construction are neophytes in the subject of construction, hence their criticisms.
There was sporadic dissent when government served notice to construct a National Cathedral at an estimated cost of $100 million.
But Mr Ablakwa insists the construction of the cathedral is a misplaced priority.
The North Tongu legislator in an interview with JoyNews also asked government to make full disclosure the amount it’s spent in pulling down the residence of the High Court judges last year. DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Ghanaians death toll in Burkina Faso terror attack now 8
10 minutes -
Ken Ashigbey demands probe into 14 containers of changfang machines
16 minutes -
The NDC doesn’t need a southerner or northerner
18 minutes -
NSA assures service personnel of allowance payments by week’s end
24 minutes -
Why COCOBOD’s pay cut is a band-aid on a gaping national wound
25 minutes -
We cannot stop cross-border trade but must protect our traders – Dumelo
28 minutes -
Port security lapses exposed in importation of illegal mining machines – Ashigbey
32 minutes -
One-week observance in honour of Yaw Sarpong slated for February 19
35 minutes -
Ntim Fordjour urges high-level Ghana-Burkina Faso talks after killing of 7 Ghanaians
44 minutes -
Nhyiaeso MP calls for research-backed approach to mandatory tree crop proposal policy
53 minutes -
The impact of expanding fishing limits on local trawlers at Tema fishing harbour
1 hour -
From “obroni wawu” to “asaase bewu”: Connecting Ghana’s used clothing dilemma to climate change
1 hour -
Galamsey: MMDCEs, public officials found culpable will be prosecuted—Lands Ministry
1 hour -
Lands Ministry begins stakeholder engagement on draft CREMA regulations
1 hour -
We’re a nation of talkers who react to issues and go back to sleep—Sissala East MP
1 hour
