Audio By Carbonatix
There are no immediate plans to evacuate Ghanaian students living in the Wuhan city of China over coronavirus scares.
This was reiterated by the Director-General of the Ghana Health Service, Patrick Aboagye after a statement from the Health Minister Kwaku Agyeman Manu communicated same on Wednesday.
According to the Ministry, collaborations with global and regional organisations have not pointed to evacuating locals living in the epicentre of the deadly virus.
“So far, all advice through consultations and engagements is not encouraging us to undertake mass evacuation as yet because of the following…Sub-regional consultation - the West African Health Organisation is engaging member states and has not recommended evacuation yet.
“Public Health principles in outbreak situations.
“All these notwithstanding, we are reviewing the situation by the hour and when it becomes necessary, we will tow the next line of action as appropriate, including evacuation,” the Minister’s statement read.
Opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) MP, Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa who is the Minority spokesperson on Foreign Affairs has, however, been demanding evacuation of all Ghanaians in the Chinese region.
He said government should follow other countries’ lead and bring Ghanaians there home.
“It is better to have our compatriots back to Ghana safely, particularly at this time that there is no confirmation of a Ghanaian case than for us all to be sorry later,” he said in a short post on social media.
However, Dr Aboagye, responding to questions from journalists Thursday, said Ghana cannot follow the lead of advanced countries like the US.
The superpower, he explained, has advanced mechanisms to contain a possible spread of the virus should any of the returnees be infected.
He said US citizens who were evacuated were put in a negative chamber and “when you are in that room nothing gets out.”
“We don’t have that here,” he said, adding there more protective systems in China.
Latest Stories
-
Nine arrested in France over death of far-right student
10 minutes -
EPA to probe seizure of over 200 suspected galamsey machines at Tema port
13 minutes -
Ghana–Russia Center, Kuban Agrarian University seal deal to advance agricultural innovation
32 minutes -
Mahama opens maiden Tree Crop Investment Summit, pushes value addition and jobs
32 minutes -
Police recover five assault rifles after Bono shootout, one suspect killed
45 minutes -
Nana B slams Special Prosecutor over presidential primaries investigations
57 minutes -
The ‘Ghana Must Go’ bag of integrity: 3 police officers return GH₵85k
59 minutes -
Ghana must help Burkina Faso tackle terror threat – Expert says
1 hour -
Police return GH¢85,000 found on Techiman–Kumasi highway to owner
1 hour -
NSA assures service personnel of prompt payment of outstanding allowances
1 hour -
The Wahala Playbook: A quintessential guide to burying national scandals with internet gossip
1 hour -
Burkina Faso attack: Travel advisory insufficient, urgent security measures needed – Samuel Jinapor
1 hour -
Daily Insight for CEOs: Decision-Making Speed and Quality.
2 hours -
Emmanuel Bedzrah cuts sod for 17 educational infrastructure projects in Ho West
2 hours -
Samuel Jinapor calls for independent inquiry into Burkina Faso attack
2 hours
