Audio By Carbonatix
The Ghana Health Service (GHS) and the Ghana Education Service Health (GES) have instituted key measures to determine the extent of the outbreak of the novel Coronavirus disease (Covid-19) in the Senior High Schools.
This follows a report of Covid-19 cases in some Senior High Schools on July 6, with the Accra Girls Senior High School (AGISS) recording the most cases from the first report to date.
As at Monday, July 13, a total of 314 students and staff from the AGISS had been tested, out of which 55 were confirmed positive, an official statement has said.
"A few other schools have reported sporadic cases which have not experienced a surge," it said.
The statement was jointly signed by the Director-General of the Ghana Education Service, Professor Kwasi Opoku-Amankwa, and Dr. Patrick Kuma-Aboagye, the Director-General of the Ghana Health Service.
The GES and the GHS, it said, had been implementing containment measures such as the identification and segregation of contact from other students; sample collection and laboratory testing of all contacts identified and suspected cases, and transferring of all confirmed cases to designated national treatment and isolation centres for management.
Other measures are the restriction of the number of students that attend dining at a particular time; enforcement of social distancing protocols; and enhanced hand hygiene practices and the proper use of the facemask.
The Ministries, according to the statement, had also ensured that the schools were disinfected entirely, adequate Personal Protective Equipment (PPEs) were provided to health staff stationed in the school, and education on Covid-19 prevention and control intensified.
It also said counseling and psychological support was being provided to the students.
Additionally, the schools have designated quarantine and isolation centres, while the parents and guardians of affected the students were duly contacted and staff of the schools reassured.
“Ghana Education Service working with Ghana Health Service wishes to inform parents, guardians, and the general public that efforts are being made to ensure the safety of our staff and students,” the statement said.
Latest Stories
-
GhISP strengthens GVCA-led efforts to expand capital access for local SMEs
21 minutes -
Ghana’s security exposed by Defence Ministry vacancy – Nitiwul
45 minutes -
MOBA commences historic 150th anniversary celebration rooted in faith and national service
52 minutes -
MiDA calls on chiefs to free land for President Mahama’s project
53 minutes -
Timing Trouble: Why Mexico friendly threatens Ghana’s World Cup readiness
1 hour -
GHS issues new security, patient care directives after Mamprobi baby theft
1 hour -
Gov’t urged to provide psychological support for victims following foreign national scandal
1 hour -
Forty Under 40 Africa Summit declares ‘End of African Apology’ at Accra gathering
2 hours -
Ghana remains 4th in Africa with highest debt to IMF
2 hours -
Minerals Commission revokes over 300 licences in push to reclaim Ghanaian control of mining sector
2 hours -
2026 UG Corporate Games: Ghana Civil Aviation Authority secures big win
2 hours -
No extradition treaty makes justice for Russian suspect difficult – Criminologist
2 hours -
Speaker faults NDC, NPP over absence of female candidates in Ayawaso East by-election
2 hours -
“We are not creating a parallel financial system”-BoG Governor on Virtual Asset regulation
2 hours -
Pan-African Youth Union General Secretary pays courtesy call on NYA CEO Osman Ayariga
2 hours
