Audio By Carbonatix
The Paramount Chief of Asogli Traditional Council, Agbogbomefia Togbe Afede XIV, has called for a law that will seek to address the phenomenon of abandoned projects in the country.
According to him, successive governments need to be held accountable if they fail to continue or complete projects built with money from citizens.
Speaking at a gathering during the 'thank you tour' by former President John Mahama, Togbe Afede XIV said “we would need a law that would ensure that abandoned projects or projects that have been started will be completed before new ones are started.”
The former President of the National House of Chiefs stated that it is unfortunate that successive governments have failed to continue many projects across the country.
Hence, the law will enable governments that come to power to take on the responsibility to complete developmental projects before starting new ones, Togbe Afede XIV added.
This comes after former President John Mahama in August, urged the government to suspend the rolling out of new infrastructural projects and focus on completing existing ones.
Speaking during a visit to the Volta Region, Mr. Mahama said there are many uncompleted projects across the country which when finished, would aid in development.
Meanwhile, South Dayi MP, Rockson-Nelson Dafeamekpor, has sued the government over the Community Day Senior High School project he claims has been abandoned.
This project took off in 2013 as part of the John Mahama-led government’s plan to build 200 Community Day SHSs between 2013 and 2016.
The MP said at that time Mr Mahama left office, 46 of the schools had been commissioned and ready for use.
He alleges that sometime in August 2021, the Minister of Education stated that despite completion, not all the schools were in use.
He contends in his writ that the current government has refused to continue with the project to build two hundred community Senior High Schools and failed to utilise all the completed schools.
However, the Director of Communications for the governing New Patriotic Party (NPP) has refuted claims that the current NPP administration has abandoned projects started by their predecessor.
Addressing a press conference on Friday, August 20, 2021, Yaw Buaben Asamoa said the opposition party feels threatened by the ongoing projects under the current administration, hence these claims.
“The NDC feels threatened. Agenda 111 is killing them. They are afraid of Agenda 111. So they are talking against it just like they talked against free SHS,” he said.
Latest Stories
-
Fire guts Saboba Hospital’s Children Ward
3 hours -
Interior Ministry extends aptitude test dates for WASSCE applicants in 2025/26 security services recruitment
4 hours -
National Investment Bank donates GH₵1m to support GAF barracks redevelopment project
4 hours -
Gomoa-East demolition: 14 suspects remanded by Kasoa Ofaakor Court
5 hours -
Divers recover bodies of seven Chinese tourists from bottom of Lake Baikal
6 hours -
From windstorm to resilience: How Wa school is growing climate protection
7 hours -
Reclaiming the Garden City: Dr. Kwame Adinkrah urges Kumasi to rein in billboard proliferation
7 hours -
Bursar of Ghanata SHS arrested for alleged diversion of student food supplies
7 hours -
Trump says he will increase global tariffs to 15%
7 hours -
Bogoso-Prestea mine records first gold pour after 24-month shutdown
7 hours -
Ghana–ECOWAS talks end with renewed push for women and youth political inclusion
8 hours -
Interior Minister receives Hudai Foundation food donation for prison inmates during Ramadan
8 hours -
UBIDS to benefit from pre-fabricated US$6.6m 1k capacity classroom project
8 hours -
Interior Minister launches Automated Fire Safety Compliance System to enhance public safety
9 hours -
Africa must lead climate intervention conversation – Experts
9 hours
