Audio By Carbonatix
An Accra Circuit Court has granted bail in the sum of GH₵150,000 with three sureties to Samuel Yeboah, 38-year-old unemployed for alleged abetment of crime.
The court said one of the sureties should be a public servant earning not less than GH₵3,000, a month.
It will take the plea of Bismark Adu Odame, a 31-year-old Miner, Yeboah’s accomplice, accused of defrauding by false pretences.
The court presided over by Mrs Kizita Naa Koowa Quarshie adjourned the case to November 8, 2022.
Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Fuseini Yakubu told the court that the complainant was Nana Ekow Freeman, a media consultant residing in Komenda in the Central Region, while Odame, resided in Akwatia in the Eastern Region with Yeboah also a resident of Akim-Oda in the Eastern Region.
The prosecution said in March 2021, the complainant received a phone call from Odame through a Vodafone number, and introduced himself as Commissioner of Police, Mr. Alex George Mensah, from the National Police Headquarters Accra.
It said Odame allegedly informed the complainant that he had been assigned to help NPP members to be recruited into the Ghana Police Service and asked him to submit names of party members and their contacts to him.
The prosecution said Odame asked the complainant to task each prospective applicant to pay cash in the sum of GH₵ 3,000.00 for documentation and other processing fee.
It said the complainant submitted names of 47 people to Odame with payment of GH₵ 3,000.00 each to the mobile money numbers given to him by the accused with their respective mobile money account.
The prosecution said after the accused had collected the monies, he allegedly told the complainant that he wanted to meet all the 47 people in Accra and, therefore, agreed on a date for the meeting.
It said on the agreed date for the meeting, the complainant assembled all the prospective applicants at Kasoa to be transported to the accused in Accra, but all calls placed to Odame’s known contact numbers could not go through.
The prosecution said all his contacts known to the complainant could not be reached any more.
The complainant then petitioned the Director-General of CID for assistance.
The prosecution said mobile money statements of the two mobile money numbers were obtained from MTN Ghana Limited per court order and upon analysis, it was confirmed that the complainant sent GH₵ 79,000.00 to the numbers.
Investigations led to the arrest of Odame in Akwatia in the Eastern Region on June 24, 2022, with investigations on the phone numbers used to receive the payments from the complainant leading to the arrest of Yeboah in Akim-Oda.
Yeboah stated in his caution statement to the police that the two SIM cards used to receive funds from the complainant were given to him by Odame to be receiving funds from his business partners for him.
He added that any time he received money on the said mobile money numbers, he withdrew it from mobile money merchants for Odame.
Yeboah allegedly said Odame gave him 10 per cent of any amount he withdrew for him.
Latest Stories
-
Exporters call for single-digit interest rates to boost Ghana’s horticulture sector
3 minutes -
Young political leaders must look beyond party lines to strengthen Ghana’s democracy – EU
7 minutes -
25 female KNUST physics students receive GH¢87,500 Whittaker Foundation suppo
10 minutes -
Berekuso-Kwabenya-Kitase road project stalls as First Sky cites unsigned contract and funding challenges
13 minutes -
Interior Ministry urges strict enforcement of Armoured Bullion Vehicle standards in Ghana
15 minutes -
GNFS rescues trapped man after Ford F-150 crashes into Kia Rio at Suhum Niifio
17 minutes -
Firefighters need stronger protection from smoke, air pollution risks – Clean Air Fund
18 minutes -
Constitution guarantees speedy trials for all cases, not selected ones — Kpemka tells Deputy AG
18 minutes -
Hostel operators warn Rent Control action could worsen accommodation shortage at KNUST
20 minutes -
Fire Service equipment shortage persists as some appliances go 15 years without replacement
21 minutes -
Guinness Ghana DJ Awards 2026 nationwide tour kicks off in Winneba
23 minutes -
Afenyo-Markin accuses GoldBod management of ‘crass incompetence’ over alleged losses
23 minutes -
Livestream: National Mining Dialogue 2026 underway
32 minutes -
Small arms amnesty campaign boosts surrender, regularisation of weapons in Ashanti Region
39 minutes -
A reflection on the proposed university for Savannah Region
40 minutes