Audio By Carbonatix
The State on Tuesday informed an Accra High Court that it was awaiting the analytical report on over 16 kilogrammes of narcotic drugs allegedly found on two South Africans and a Nigerian.
The drugs, found on the three women, are suspected to be methamphetamine concealed in two suitcases.
Mr Frederick Adu Gyamfi, an Assistant State Attorney, prayed the court to remand the accused persons into the custody of the Narcotics Control Commission pending the conclusion of investigations.
“Our update is that we are yet to receive the analytical report from the Ghana Standards Authority on the substances found on the accused during the arrest.
In the circumstances, we pray for a short adjournment by which we would have received the report on the substances retrieved on the accused persons and proceed with the trial,” the prosecution said.
Defence Counsel told the court that although he had just been approached to defend the accused, he would like to pray for bail for them.
Counsel held that it was unfair for the prosecution to ask the court to remand his clients.
He said his clients had been in custody for more than a month and emphasised that they were innocent until proven guilty.
The court presided over by Justice Kizita Koowa Quarshie, urged defence counsel to formally file his bail application.
The matter has been adjourned to March 11, 2025.
The accused persons, whose names were withheld, were picked up at the Kotoka International Airport on January 20, 2025, by officials of the Narcotics Control Commission.
They were found to have concealed drugs suspected to be methamphetamine in two suitcases.
The court is yet to take the pleas of the accused persons although they have been charged.
Latest Stories
-
Irresponsible mining: The land is not your own – Prof Mike Oquaye cautions
7 minutes -
62 Ghanaians killed, 15 missing in Russia-Ukraine war – Ablakwa
8 minutes -
GJA President urges responsible, sustainable mining
9 minutes -
Ghana must take charge of its mineral resources – Prof. Mike Oquaye
15 minutes -
KickedIn uses technology to connect African football talent with global opportunities
16 minutes -
GoldBod did not record GH¢22bn loss; audited accounts show GH¢5.44bn surplus – Institute of Fiscal Policy Governance
20 minutes -
Mining comes with responsibility to future generations – Ga Mantse
23 minutes -
Ga Mantse calls for measurable CSR and stronger local participation in mining communities
29 minutes -
Ga Mantse urges mining industry to protect communities beyond the life of mines
44 minutes -
Empowerher in Upper West region
1 hour -
Ga Mantse challenges mining stakeholders to consider long-term impact of Ghana’s mineral wealth
1 hour -
Afenyo-Markin accuses GoldBod of mismanaging Ghana’s gold resources
1 hour -
Non-interest banking products must meet required standards – BoG Governor to NIFAC
1 hour -
Social licence to mine can be withdrawn – Ga Mantse warns mining companies
1 hour -
X1 Energy Drink Division One Super Cup: Attram De Visser secure third place after late own goal
1 hour