Audio By Carbonatix
Benin's government has admitted that 54 soldiers were killed by suspected jihadists in the country's north last week near the borders with Burkina Faso and Niger.
The authorities had previously said that only eight soldiers were killed.
The revised figure makes it the deadliest known attack since insurgents began operating in northern Benin at the beginning of the decade.
The attack has been claimed by an al-Qaeda-linked group - Jama'at Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen, (Jnim), which is based in Mali but has in recent years expanded its operations to neighbouring countries.
The jihadist group had said it killed 70 soldiers in raids on two military posts in the north, according to intelligence group SITE.
Jnim is one of several jihadist groups operating in West Africa's Sahel region, especially Mali, Niger and Burkina Faso, where the military governments are struggling to contain the insurgency.
Benin and Togo have seen a rise in jihadist activity in recent years, as groups linked to Islamic State and al-Qaeda spread to the south.
"Heavy losses for the nation," wrote presidential spokesman Serge Nonvignon in a Facebook post on Wednesday.
Another government spokesperson, Wilfried Leandre Houngbedji, said that Benin was determined to continue the fight against the jihadists.
"We won't give in... I can assure you that sooner or later, sooner or later, we will win," he said.
Latest Stories
-
The six KNUST air quality ambassadors championing clean air action across Ghana and West Africa
1 hour -
Big motivation if people want Spurs down – De Zerbi
1 hour -
West Ham relegation may cost London taxpayers £2.5m
1 hour -
Leeds promise bans over homophobic chants
2 hours -
Mahama recused himself over Damang Mine deal – Kwakye Ofosu rejects Ibrahim state capture claims
2 hours -
What is wrong with us? We celebrate buildings but neglect the systems that keep cities alive
2 hours -
Neymar included in Brazil’s 26-man World Cup squad
2 hours -
Why Ghana’s export story is no longer about raw cocoa
2 hours -
Man City preparing for Guardiola departure
2 hours -
The paradox of plenty: How Ghana’s farmers are being sacrificed on the altar of a cheap import agenda
2 hours -
Defence Ministry in ‘safe hands’ despite vacancy – Felix Kwakye Ofosu
2 hours -
Why no Defence Minister yet? – Felix Kwakye Ofosu says Mahama sees no urgency
3 hours -
Sam George petitions AG to probe $3.4m payment for CSA building project
3 hours -
The Abronye Charge Sheet – misuse in plain sight
3 hours -
Carvajal to leave Real Madrid after 23 years
3 hours