Audio By Carbonatix
The head of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement defended on Monday his agency's decision to arrest a Massachusetts high school student on his way to volleyball practice, saying, "he's in this country illegally and we're not going to walk away from anybody."
Todd Lyons, the acting director of ICE, made those comments as reporters asked him during an event in Boston to explain why authorities on Saturday arrested 18-year-old Marcelo Gomes Da Silva, who has been in the United States since 2012.
The Brazilian's arrest prompted a large protest on Sunday in the Boston suburb of Milford, where he lives, and a demand for information about the incident from Democratic Governor Maura Healey, who said she was "disturbed and outraged" by the situation.
Lyons spoke about the arrest of Gomes while announcing the results of an immigration enforcement surge in Massachusetts that resulted in nearly 1,500 people being taken into custody last month as part of Republican President Donald Trump's hardline effort to ramp up mass deportations.
Lyons and Patricia Hyde, the acting field director of ICE Enforcement and Removal Operations in Boston, said Gomes was not the target of the investigation that led to his arrest, and that authorities instead were seeking his father, who remains at large.
"So obviously, he isn't the father of the year because he brought his son up here illegally as well," Lyons said.
The Milford High School student had been driving his father's vehicle when he was arrested following a traffic stop, Lyons said. Lyons said that when authorities encounter someone in the country illegally, "we will take action on that."
"We're doing the job that ICE should have been doing all along," Lyons said. "We enforce all immigration laws."
"The actions by ICE in arresting a teenager on his way to volleyball practice are outrageous," Miriam Conrad, Gomes' lawyer, said in a statement. "Locking up a high school junior with no criminal record does not make the community safer. It sows fear among immigrants."
Hours after the press conference, a federal judge issued an order, opens new tab barring immigration authorities from transferring Gomes out of Massachusetts without 48 hours' notice while the court considers a lawsuit arguing he was unlawfully detained.
The lawsuit said that Gomes entered the United States on a student visa. While his student visa status has lapsed, the lawsuit said he intends to apply for asylum.
Latest Stories
-
CBG launches agency banking drive ‘Sika Agent’, targets 8,000 agents by 2028
8 minutes -
Lands Ministry investigates alleged involvement of National Security operatives in galamsey
13 minutes -
BoG confident cedi stability will be sustained
21 minutes -
Freddie Blay pledges support for Wontumi’s bid for NPP national chairmanship
41 minutes -
Accra–Tema train derails after collision with cow
47 minutes -
Five houses, nine vehicles buried in Adaklu Mountain mudslide
1 hour -
India–Africa Forum Summit IV postponed following consultations over health concerns
1 hour -
We’re in a very good political environment — Dr Nduom after GN Bank licence restitution order
1 hour -
BoG CRR adjustment vindicates my position – Dr Gideon Boako
1 hour -
BoG pushes for connected African financial markets to unlock growth
2 hours -
FTF Impact Summit calls for stronger youth collaboration to drive Ghana’s development
2 hours -
Health Minister assures Ghana has recorded no Ebola cases despite WHO emergency declaration
2 hours -
Over 101,000 students benefit from No Academic Fees Policy for 2025/2026 – SLTF
2 hours -
NPP supporters in Tarkwa-Nsuaem protest alleged irregularities in internal elections
2 hours -
Adaklu-Helekpe residents gripped by fear following mountain mudslide
2 hours