Audio By Carbonatix
Mexican boxer Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. has returned to training following his release from prison as he awaits trial in Mexico for alleged cartel ties following his deportation from the United States.
Video footage shared on social media from the Coliseo Boxing Club by Gallo Estrada, a boxing gym in the Sonoran state capital of Hermosillo, thanked the boxer for his visit as he trained on a punching bag wearing a gym-brand t-shirt.
"Thanks for your visit," the gym said in a post on Instagram. "This is your home."
The gym told Reuters that Chavez Jr. was at the site on Monday afternoon.
Chavez Jr., the 39-year-old son of legendary former world champion boxer Julio Cesar Chavez, was released from prison in northern Sonora state over the weekend, after a local judge ruled he could continue the legal process outside detention.
Mexican prosecutors allege Chavez Jr. acted as a henchman for the powerful Sinaloa Cartel, which Washington designated a foreign terrorist organisation earlier this year.
His lawyers and family reject the accusations.
He is facing charges related to arms trafficking and organised crime, Mexico's president told reporters shortly after his Los Angeles arrest by U.S. immigration authorities last month.
The boxer was arrested shortly after losing a sold-out match to American influencer-turned-boxer Jake Paul.
He was deported to Mexico, where he was arrested by local authorities and briefly jailed in Hermosillo.
Latest Stories
-
Freddie Blay pledges support for Wontumi’s bid for NPP national chairmanship
13 seconds -
Accra–Tema train derails after collision with cow
6 minutes -
Five houses, nine vehicles buried in Adaklu Mountain mudslide
27 minutes -
India–Africa Forum Summit IV postponed following consultations over health concerns
34 minutes -
We’re in a very good political environment — Dr Nduom after GN Bank licence restitution order
43 minutes -
BoG CRR adjustment vindicates my position – Dr Gideon Boako
48 minutes -
BoG pushes for connected African financial markets to unlock growth
51 minutes -
FTF Impact Summit calls for stronger youth collaboration to drive Ghana’s development
55 minutes -
Health Minister assures Ghana has recorded no Ebola cases despite WHO emergency declaration
1 hour -
Over 101,000 students benefit from government’s No Academic Fees Policy – SLTF
1 hour -
NPP supporters in Tarkwa-Nsuaem protest alleged irregularities in internal elections
1 hour -
Adaklu-Helekpe residents gripped by fear following mountain mudslide
1 hour -
Former Attorney-General condemns Abronye DC’s detention after High Court grants bail
1 hour -
Nduom welcomes Court of Appeal ruling restoring GN Savings and Loans licence
1 hour -
Margins Group celebrates NIA@20
1 hour