Audio By Carbonatix
The Trump administration has launched an operation in Massachusetts to arrest and deport undocumented immigrants, the New York Times and Boston media reported on Saturday, quoting the Department of Homeland Security as saying it was targeting "criminal aliens" living in the state.
DHS and its U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement arm are calling the operation Patriot 2.0, modifying the name of a May deportation surge that led to the arrest of 1,500 people in the state, according to the reports.
A spokesperson for the Department of Homeland Security did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
The operation is expected to last several weeks, the New York Times said, quoting unnamed sources with knowledge of the matter.
One of the sources told the Times that Patriot 2.0 was focused on targeting immigrants who had been released from custody despite ICE agents attempting to pick them up from local jails.
It was not immediately clear how many federal officers were involved in the crackdown, which comes as Chicago braces for a Trump administration ramp-up of deportations in the third-largest U.S. city.
NBC 10 Boston quoted a statement from a DHS spokesperson as deriding Boston Mayor Michelle Wu's so-called sanctuary policies.
"Sanctuary policies like those pushed by Mayor Wu not only attract and harbor criminals but also place these public safety threats above the interests of law-abiding American citizens.
ICE is arresting sex offenders, pedophiles, murderers, drug dealers, and gang members released by local authorities," the statement reported by NBC 10 said.
Latest Stories
-
India–Africa Forum Summit IV postponed following consultations over health concerns
3 seconds -
We’re in a very good political environment — Dr Nduom after GN Bank licence restitution order
10 minutes -
BoG CRR adjustment vindicates my position – Dr Gideon Boako
14 minutes -
BoG pushes for connected African financial markets to unlock growth
18 minutes -
FTF Impact Summit calls for stronger youth collaboration to drive Ghana’s development
21 minutes -
Health Minister assures Ghana has recorded no Ebola cases despite WHO emergency declaration
30 minutes -
Over 101,000 students benefit from government’s No Academic Fees Policy – SLTF
35 minutes -
NPP supporters in Tarkwa-Nsuaem protest alleged irregularities in internal elections
36 minutes -
Adaklu-Helekpe residents gripped by fear following mountain mudslide
36 minutes -
Former Attorney-General condemns Abronye DC’s detention after High Court grants bail
37 minutes -
Nduom welcomes Court of Appeal ruling restoring GN Savings and Loans licence
43 minutes -
Margins Group celebrates NIA@20
44 minutes -
Traders lament slow pace of Krofrom Market reconstruction after recent project resumption
45 minutes -
IMCC engages media practitioners on new Decentralisation policy framework
46 minutes -
Our second coming will be bigger – Nduom on GN Savings and Loans
53 minutes