Audio By Carbonatix
The Minister for Foreign Affairs, Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa, has confirmed that the Ministry is investigating the death of 18-year-old Ghanaian student, Nana Agyei Oduru Ahyia, who died under suspicious circumstances in Latvia.
In a statement shared on his official Facebook page, the Minister described the incident as “heart-wrenching” and said the Ministry had initiated inquiries through the appropriate diplomatic channels.
“My attention has been drawn to a heart-wrenching video reporting the killing of a Ghanaian student by name Nana Adjei in Latvia,” he wrote.
“The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has commenced immediate investigations through relevant diplomatic channels. We shall provide the public with regular updates. It is worth reminding that nobody harms a Ghanaian in any part of the world and gets away with it.”
Nana Agyei, a first-year Electrical Engineering (Adaptronic) student at Riga Technical University, enrolled in July 2024 and died on June 4, 2025.
His death has triggered widespread concern among his family, fellow students, and Ghana’s diplomatic mission in Europe.
The student’s remains were returned to Ghana on July 23, 2025, for burial. The circumstances surrounding his death have prompted calls for a thorough investigation to establish the facts and ensure accountability.
Latvian authorities have indicated that he died after falling from the sixth floor of his apartment building. However, his family disputes this account and suspects foul play, insisting on a comprehensive investigation.
The family also rejects claims of suicide or accidental fall, citing a voice note Nana Agyei sent three days before his death in which he alleged that he had been poisoned by two Latvian acquaintances after consuming a drink.
They have pointed to several inconsistencies in the official reports, including claims that the body was found fully clothed with only a scratch on the forehead and no broken bones, which they argue is inconsistent with a fall from a six-storey building. Medical reports reportedly confirmed poisoning by an unknown substance, yet the suspects were released.
Latest Stories
-
Australia bans citizen trying to return from IS camp in Syria
4 minutes -
US says ‘meaningful progress’ made as Ukraine talks enter second day
5 minutes -
Police intercept truck carrying over 3,000 slabs of suspected narcotics; two arrested for bribery
6 minutes -
COCOBOD projects GH¢5m monthly savings after executive pay cuts
8 minutes -
Edem Agbana to petition GES over ‘dehumanising’ colonisation content in JHS social studies textbooks
26 minutes -
Kofi Adu Domfeh: A new world disorder of climate change?
28 minutes -
Govt engages Burkina Faso over safety of Ghanaian tomato traders — Dumelo
36 minutes -
World Series 2026: History made as Ghana’s para swimmers set for first major competition
54 minutes -
Morning Glory MCDC donates 300 desks to Krowor schools ahead of 30th anniversary
56 minutes -
Useless Column: How to make your wife change
56 minutes -
Useless Column: ‘Wifee is dangerous’
1 hour -
Abu Jinapor calls for urgent cocoa sector reforms
1 hour -
Kofi Adu Domfeh: A new world disorder of climate change?
1 hour -
One more suspect arrested over killing of Police officer at Zebilla
1 hour -
Useless Column: Russian Roulette
1 hour
