Audio By Carbonatix
FIFA appears to have ruled out moving Iran's matches at this summer's World Cup to Mexico from the United States.
The president of Iran's football federation had said negotiations were underway to move fixtures in order to ensure their players' safety.
It comes amid US and Israeli strikes on Iran, which has responded with attacks on Israel and US-allied states in the Gulf.
However, on Tuesday Fifa said in a statement it was looking forward to nations "competing as per the match schedule".
The US is co-hosting the World Cup, which takes place between 11 June and 19 July, with Canada and Mexico.
Iran are scheduled to face New Zealand on 16 June and Belgium on 21 June, both in Los Angeles, and Egypt in Seattle on 27 June.
Last week, US President Donald Trump said that while Iran are "welcome to the World Cup", he does not think "it is appropriate" they attend "for their own life and safety".
"When Trump has explicitly stated that he cannot ensure the security of the Iranian national team, we will certainly not travel to America," said Iranian football federation president Mehdi Taj in a post, external on a social media account belonging to the Iranian embassy in Mexico.
"We are negotiating with FIFA to hold Iran's World Cup matches in Mexico."
A Fifa spokesperson said: "Fifa is in regular contact with all participating member associations, including Iran, to discuss planning for the World Cup.
"FIFA is looking forward to all participating teams competing as per the match schedule announced on 6 December 2025."
Iran, who have qualified for a fourth consecutive World Cup, decided not to pull out of the competition last summer when the US bombed three nuclear facilities in the country.
A recent message on the national team's Telegram account said FIFA is the organiser of the World Cup and "not any single country".
It added that "the country that should be removed is the one that merely carries the title of host but does not have the ability to ensure security for the teams participating in this event".
Previously, Trump has said he "does not care" if Iran take part in the World Cup.
FIFA President Gianni Infantino subsequently said the US President had told him Iran are "welcome to compete" at this summer's finals, despite the countries being at war.
Iran's Minister of Sports and Youth, Ahmad Donyamali, then said that "under no circumstances do we have the appropriate conditions to participate in the World Cup".
Latest Stories
-
Mary Anane Awuku rejects caning, advocates counselling and parental involvement
19 seconds -
Many people don’t like sharing their success tips – Mary Anane Awuku
3 minutes -
Resurrection of GN Savings and Loans will be tough – Joe Jackson
5 minutes -
SanlamAllianz Life sponsors four Ghanaian athletes for 2026 Cape Town Marathon
7 minutes -
2026 Legacy Expo comes off on June 3, 2026
12 minutes -
CBG deepens financial inclusion drive with expansion of agency banking network
19 minutes -
Non-Performing Loans decline to 18% nut elevated risk remains – BoG
24 minutes -
Cocoa farmers in Ahondwo area appeal for clinic, support services
28 minutes -
Building collapse kills at least 9 people in Morocco’s Fez
29 minutes -
Congo police fire warning shots in burial dispute after suspected Ebola death
33 minutes -
Security officers involved in galamsey will face the law — Lands Ministry
34 minutes -
Keta MCE supports Keta FC with GH¢10,000 ahead of Middle LeagueÂ
35 minutes -
Livestream: JoyNews National Dialogue on Ghana’s youth and climate change
37 minutes -
Wontumi’s fate near as court gives final deadline for witnesses
38 minutes -
We have done no wrong – Group Ndoum says following court victory
40 minutes