Audio By Carbonatix
The United States has issued a rare rebuke of Israel after reports emerged it struck a Syrian military airbase near the Turkish border, calling the attack an "unnecessary escalation".
Eight airstrikes hit the Abu Duhur airport runway and storage facility on Tuesday, according to Syrian state TV, although there were no reports of injuries.
Israel, while not commenting on the strikes directly, said Syria "was on the verge of breaching" the security status quo, accusing Damascus of allowing Turkish troops to deploy to the airbase.
Syria and Turkey blamed the Israeli military for the attacks that they said threaten to escalate tensions in the region.
Tom Barrack, the US ambassador in Turkey, who was also appointed as Donald Trump's special envoy for Syria and Iraq, criticised the attacks in a statement posted on social media.
"We are deeply concerned that the confirmed Israeli airstrikes on Abu al-Duhur Airbase constitute an unnecessary escalation that does not advance regional stability," Barrack wrote on X.
The office of Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu published a statement: "Israel and Syria agreed to a status quo in security matters, which Syria was on the verge of breaching by permitting Turkish troops to deploy at an airbase near Aleppo."
Syria's foreign ministry called the attacks "an unjustified act of aggression" imperilling regional "security and stability".
Turkey, meanwhile, did not confirm whether any of its troops moved to the Abu Duhur airbase, which sits 70km from the Turkish border. However, Ankara rejected Israel's suggestion that it posed a threat.
"The frivolous allegations put forward by the Israeli Prime Minister's office aim to legitimize Israel's unlawful airstrikes targeting Syria's sovereignty and territorial integrity," Turkey's Communications Directorate said in a statement quoted by the Anadolu state news agency.
Abu Duhur has been out of service as a dedicated military airfield since 2013. Rebel forces seized control of the base as they swept through the country in December 2024.
Syria has been trying to rebuild its military facilities that were damaged during the blitz offensive that saw Bashar al-Assad's government overthrown within two weeks.
The Turkish military has provided assistance to Syria since the overthrow of Assad, while Israel continues to view both countries with deep suspicion.
Israel has carried out airstrikes on parts of central and southern Syria since Al-Sharaa came to power, with the latest strikes being the most significant since March.
Barrack said that Syrian President Ahmed al-Sharaa, who led the rebel forces against Assad, "has neither adopted not maintained proxy forces" and "repeatedly indicated a preference for de-escalation with Israel".
The US would continue to offer to host diplomatic discussions between both sides to address "kinetic frustrations", Barrack added.
Al-Sharaa has forged closer ties with the west since coming to power, particularly the US – signified when he became the first Syrian leader to visit the White House in November last year.
Latest Stories
-
I’m not afraid of any intimidating tactics – Sammy Gyamfi fires back at critics
5 minutes -
Youth development must be mainstreamed across all sectors – NYA CEO
11 minutes -
National Apprenticeship Programme surpasses 10,000 target, reaches 14,000 beneficiaries – NYA
15 minutes -
AMA orders aboboyaa, tricycles to install reflectors, avoid major highways
22 minutes -
GACC flags persistent corruption risks despite progress in 2025
30 minutes -
Stalled reforms, funding gaps weakening Ghana’s anti-corruption fight – GACC
31 minutes -
Mahama deserves praise for creating Youth Development Ministry – Osman Ayariga
34 minutes -
Shea butter industry losing millions of raw shea nut through export – Shea Butter Employers Association
35 minutes -
Youth health and wellbeing must remain central to national development – Osman Ayariga
37 minutes -
‘I’ll have onerous bail terms in your brain’ – Sammy Gyamfi fires back at Afenyo-Markin
43 minutes -
Education Minister calls for urgent focus on basic education as infrastructure gaps persist
43 minutes -
Audit Service recovers GH¢24.95m in unearned salaries, irregular payments – GACC
50 minutes -
Nobody is saying there haven’t been losses, but be factual about it – Sammy Gyamfi to critics
52 minutes -
Santasi commercial drivers park vehicles to protest arrests over GH¢1 fare increase
1 hour -
Ghana’s anti-corruption gains threatened by weak enforcement, funding gaps – GACC
1 hour