Audio By Carbonatix
A violent confrontation between a resident and land guards has left one person seriously injured, and a family's house burnt down in Penten, a community in the Afigya Kwabre North District of the Ashanti Region.
Assembly Member for the area, Vincent Yormedor, who confirmed the incident to Nhyira News, said the protracted land dispute escalated into violence at about 11:30 a.m. on Monday, March 30, 2026.
He said that the landguards had been destroying an ongoing building project belonging to Yaw Darko, also known as Macho, on several occasions while demanding money from him.
Yaw Darko claimed he had paid all necessary fees to authorities to obtain permission to continue his project, but the landguards continued to harass him.
"The landguards destroyed Macho's building, which was at the lintel stage. When Macho became aware of the incident, he went to the landguards' camp and questioned them about the destruction. Upon confronting them, they beat him up and chased him away," Vincent Yormedor narrated.
The assembly member recounted that Yaw Darko returned to his home and then went back to the landguards' camp armed with two cutlasses.
"When Yaw Darko, also known as Macho, arrived at the scene, there were three landguards present. Two of them fled, leaving one behind. In the confrontation that followed, Yaw Darko attacked that landguard with a cutlass, severing his hand and inflicting severe injuries to his neck and forehead.Â
The assembly member revealed that reports available to him indicated that the wounded man was receiving treatment at the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital, while Yaw Darko had fled.
Meanwhile, the land guards, in a reprisal attack, are said to have torched Yaw Darko's 7-bedroom family house at Penteng, rendering the inhabitants homeless.
He also voiced his concern about the existence of landguards in their community, stating that the identity of the individuals who brought them into the community remains unknown.
The incident has heightened tension and insecurity in the area as residents call for an end to the land dispute.
The Ghana Police Service has yet to officially comment on the matter.
Latest Stories
-
Dr Abena Nyarkoa to join panel discussion at Africa Together Conference in Cambridge
3 hours -
Walmart warns US shoppers are cutting spending as higher petrol prices bite
3 hours -
Flexible exchange rate regime critical in absorbing external shocks – First Deputy Governor
3 hours -
Toilets and changing rooms must be used on basis of biological sex, guidance confirms
3 hours -
Emily in Paris to end after sixth season, says Netflix
3 hours -
Angry crowd sets Ebola hospital tents on fire in DR Congo
3 hours -
Russia and China condemn US over indictment of former Cuban leader
3 hours -
Bank of Ghana reverts to previous Cash Reserve Ratio policy after scrapping it last year
3 hours -
Ghana-eligible defender Beres Owusu signs permanent deal with Grazer AK
4 hours -
A Super El Niño is coming: What does it mean for Ghana?
4 hours -
Driving Schools Association pushes for mandatory driver training to reduce road crashes
4 hours -
Climate change exists with or without humans — Youth advocate
5 hours -
Plastic waste driving flooding and climate concerns in Bamaahu — Youth Climate Reporter
5 hours -
This week on The Career Trail
5 hours -
My book was born out of university research – Mary Anane Awuku
5 hours