Audio By Carbonatix
Foreign Affairs Minister Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa has moved to allay public concerns over Ghana’s memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the United States on deportations, insisting that the arrangement does not require parliamentary approval at this stage.
Speaking on the matter, Mr Ablakwa explained that the document is an MoU and not a binding treaty, placing it squarely within the executive’s mandate.
He stressed that established constitutional conventions permit such frameworks to proceed without immediate recourse to Parliament.
“As a nation that upholds the dignity and rights of all people, particularly those of African descent, Ghana’s actions are rooted in moral responsibility, our legal obligations under the 1992 Constitution and ECOWAS protocols, and our Pan-African values,” he said.
He further assured the public that robust security checks have been built into the agreement.
“Ghana independently vets the background of all persons earmarked for deportation by the US to ensure that no threats to our national security are admitted,” he added.
“The Mahama administration will never compromise the security and well-being of Ghanaians.”
Mr Ablakwa revealed that the understanding had already been reviewed by Cabinet and the Attorney General.
He emphasised that if the MoU is later transformed into a formal agreement, Article 75 of the 1992 Constitution would be followed without hesitation.
“I have inherited hundreds of MoUs from the previous administration which were not placed before Parliament,” he noted. “If this understanding matures into a full-blown agreement, we shall not hesitate to seek parliamentary ratification.”
Latest Stories
-
GNPC turns 40, targets oil production recovery and $3.5bn fresh investment
7 minutes -
Minority will speak boldly on GoldBod losses despite attacks – Afenyo-Markin vows
11 minutes -
Moody’s upgrades EBID rating to B1, citing stronger finances and shareholder support
21 minutes -
GoldBod cannot make losses trading gold – Afenyo-Markin
28 minutes -
Papaye, KFC and Pizzaman customers among most targeted as TrustGH uncovers nearly 1,000 scam numbers cloning Google business profiles of major food chains
38 minutes -
2026 U20 WWC: ‘We are in a tough group’ – Black Princesses’ Linda Owusu Ansah
46 minutes -
2026 U20 WWC: Ghana’s Ambassador to Czech Republic welcomes Black Princesses to Poland
1 hour -
Oti NPP executives demand completion of stalled government projects
1 hour -
Jinapor demands answers as Alima Mahama is asked to pay for Embassy spending outside her tenure
2 hours -
Russia doubles scholarships for Ghanaian students to 240 annually
2 hours -
Cedi’s year-to-date loss slumps to 4.09% as recent gains gather pace
2 hours -
‘Home has spoken’ – Justin Kodua Frimpong says as Ashanti delegates back his re-election bid
2 hours -
Mustapha Abdul-Hamid, seven others’ NPA case adjourned to August 27
2 hours -
Alima Mahama Refund: Jinapor challenges Ablakwa’s authority, says only Auditor-General can surcharge
2 hours -
Wontumi Conviction: 2 star witnesses placed under police protection amid death threats
2 hours