Audio By Carbonatix
The Municipal Chief Executive (MCE) for Ablekuma Central has spearheaded a cleanup and decongestion exercise at Abbosey Okai ahead of the rainy season.
Mariama Karley Amui said the exercise was organised in memory of the June 3, flood and fire disaster, which claimed many lives at Kwame Nkrumah Circle and also desilt choked gutters in the area.
She also saw a need for Abbosey Okai to be decongested and have some dealers relocated to a new place being prepared for them.
Speaking on JoyNews’ AM Show with Mamavi Owusu Aboagye, Thursday, Madam Mariama stated that she has coordinated with government and the Regional Coordinating Council (RCC) to prepare a spare part village at Dawenya or Afienya for traders who may need to relocate.
“We have a decongestion here at Abbosey Okai. For some time now, traders have engaged their businesses in the middle of the road. They have mounted umbrellas and small containers to sell their wares. When I asked them to get their business off the roads, it becomes a problem.
“So far, more than a month now, we have been coming here to talk to them and make them aware that we want to decongest the place. We have given them enough time to embark on this exercise in conjunction with RCC and Abbosey Okai Spare Parts Dealers Association.
“So you can see the people are not resisting, and they are helping in the cleanup and the decongestion. We want to decongest this place as we are gradually arranging for a place at Dawenya or Afienya for traders to relocate when it ready,” Mariama explained.
There was news circulating on social media that government wanted to eject Abossey Okai spare dealers from their current location.
On May 2021, the Greater Accra Region Minister, Henry Quartey, announced plans to relocate traders at the Kokompe and Abossey Okai spare parts markets in Accra.
The Minister hoped that a spare parts village will be constructed to decongesting their current trading hubs and create more job opportunities.
But the news was misconstrued on some media outlets that the spare dealers were being sacked from their current location.
Latest Stories
-
Four workers dead after being hit by train in Japan
6 minutes -
Fact-check: Did GoldBod make a loss in 2025? Here’s what the records show
20 minutes -
Rev. Adzraku Kevi calls for more women in leadership
22 minutes -
Dagbon Kingdom suspends Damba Festival to honour late Overlord
24 minutes -
Harry and Meghan’s UK security arrangements remain a ‘private matter’ – Andy Burnham
29 minutes -
At least 15 killed in Kyiv as Ukraine grapples with air defence shortages
33 minutes -
Existing banking model could draw a dagger through Ghana’s 24-Hour Economy
39 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Heartbreak for Techiman SHS as Wesley High edge them by one point in prelims
43 minutes -
IES demands release of July 29 blackout report after latest nationwide outage
57 minutes -
Eastern TESCON backs Boakye Agyarko for NPP National Chairman
1 hour -
Eduwatch demands review of BOGISS decision against 14-year-old alleged sexual abuse victim
1 hour -
Banking sector was undercapitalised for much of decade preceding 2017 cleanup – Opoku-Afari
1 hour -
Togo charges two French journalists over incorrect documents, rights group says
1 hour -
Education Ministry condemns alleged sexual abuse of BOGISS student
1 hour -
Lawyers challenge demolition of elderly woman’s Oyarifa residence, demand formal engagement
2 hours