Ghana’s rent laws demand property owners take not more than six months in rent advance.
But supply shortfalls mean those who own the few houses available usually break this law. Low-income earners are usually the hardest hit.
This puts the Rent Control Department under pressure as tenants and property owners throng the office to lodge their complaints.
A tenant, Ewurama, has been at the Rent Control office since 4 am. As of half past 12 pm, she is yet to be attended to.
The young lady waits patiently to get a chance to report how her landlady has been harassing her.
Ewurama’s landlady recently told her she will be increasing the rent by half the amount she was already paying.
“My stay in Accra is a living hell. You will work alright, but all the money you will make will go to your landladies and landlords,” she complains.
Tenants won’t have to experience this stress with the 2021 JoyNews Habitat Fair headlined by Ecobank.
This weekend, the first in the series of clinics as part of the Fair would come off at the Achimota Mall.
Ecobank would be exhibiting their Pension-Backed Mortgage policy, which allows prospective property owners to use your pensions to acquire a property you can rent to own.
The Joy Habitat Fair is a one-stop shop for everything housing.
- Missing pregnant woman in Takoradi found at Axim
- Takoradi woman faked pregnancy and kidnap – Regional Minister
- Milo will need a miracle to qualify Ghana for Qatar 2022 – John Paintsil
- Tamale residents accuse Police of assault over illegal electrical connections
- Fugees announce reunion tour, Ghana listed among countries
- Ablakwa to file another urgent question in Parliament over Akufo-Addo’s ‘extravagant’ foreign trips
- Police interdicts 4 officers who assaulted Tamale residents over illegal connection
- Provisional census results peg Ghana’s population at 30.8m – Statistical Service
- Police deny NPP executives’ bail request for 12 arrested protestors in North East Region
- Peugeot Landtrek Double Cabin 4×4 vehicle launched; assembling of Peugeot vehicles in Ghana to begin in March 2022
R. Kelly not expected to testify at his trial
There are still more women in Ghana than men – 2021 PHC by GSS
You cannot catch thieves forever; consumers will vote with their money if they know original from fake cables – Ghana Standards Authority
Ghanaians in USA welcome Akufo Addo with massive cheers
Ghana Mentorship Network launched to support startups
Taadi missing woman: Neighbors, husband dispute Regional Minister’s claim she faked pregnancy, kidnap
Silver Star Auto launches all new Peugeot Landtrek 4×4 Pick Up to be assembled in Ghana
Proud and honoured – Salisu reacts to scoring first Southampton goal
Inter Allies vs AshGold saga: Musah and three others charged for participating in match of convenience
2021 PHC : Greater Accra has 2.1m residential, non-residential structures; highest in country
10 dogs maul 2-year-old pupil to death in school compound
Kudus scores for Ajax on his return from injury
Nana Akwasi Awuah: Gold scams in Ghana – Mitigating risk of fraud
Government has made significant strides in bridging gender gap in ICT ecosystem – Ursula Owusu-Ekuful
Provisional census results peg Ghana’s population at 30.8m – Statistical Service