What is the function of a bus shelter? Call it a bus stop if you may, but the Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary says it is “a structure with a roof where people can stand while they are waiting for a bus.”
The basic purpose of a bus shelter is to provide cover for passengers from rain and wind. In addition, contemporary innovations and developments have added features that enable bus shelters provide passengers with comfort and protection from the scorching sun.
However, traders have taken over many bus shelters in Accra and transformed them into shops where they, sit, display and trade their wares.
This new norm has often left passengers stranded as they wait for buses in the open or in extreme situations, virtually on the roads because the traders and their wares occupy the designated spots for them. They are simply exposed to all manner of dangers, including speeding vehicles.
Traders discomforting travelers in this manner acknowledged the illegality of their actions but they turned a blind eye. Local authorities have from time to time taken some drastic measures in an attempt to curb the illegality.
The traders claim the same authorities are happy to collect daily tolls of GHȼ1.00 from them, in that sense, legitimizing the illegality, thereby emboldening them to return each day to perpetuate the wrong. MyJoyOnline’s photojournalist Joseph Mawuli Tibu captured the following scenes in parts of the capital.
- I have received calls to stop disconnection exercise – ECG boss
- Bride ‘faints’ briefly as Joe Mettle pops up at her wedding reception
- We are one people – Bawumia and Mahama laud peaceful enskinment of new Yagbonwura
- Ato Forson was criminally reckless in ambulance transaction – Attorney General
- Your electricity bill does not have a party colour – ECG MD
- Akufo-Addo is packing EC with known NPP members – Kofi Adams
- Ghana Immigration Service cancels filling of embarkation and disembarkation cards
- We’ll meter all distribution transformers to fight power theft – Samuel Mahama
- AFCON 2023Q: Goalpost collapses and injures Wollacott in training
- GNFS expresses reservation over reopening of Kejetia Market
- AFCON 2023Q: Mohammed Salisu only fitness doubt ahead of Angola clash
- Directing CID to Jubilee House ‘galamsey’ claims could be plot to clear officials of wrongdoing – Dr Apaak
- Government must commit to Water Action Agenda – WaterAid Ghana
- Gold-for-Oil program will be impacted by attack on our Benso site – Golden Star Wassa Limited
- The Macallan hosts Accra’s entertainment and business industries to splendid experience
- Akufo-Addo awards Emirates with Presidential Honour for Distinguished Service in fight against COVID-19
- My divorce drew me closer to God – New EC member Rev. Akua Ofori Boateng
- NYA lauds District Assembly Common Fund for role in Youth Resource Centres construction
- Crackdown on fraudulent payrolls as Fair Wages and Salaries Commission hints at audit
- I love listening to music more than recording – Kelvyn Boy
- Bring Mohammed Muntaka to book – NDC executives told
- Uganda Anti-Homosexuality bill: Life in prison for saying you’re gay
- Oforikrom Assembly signs MoU with Crops Research Institute to improve vegetable production
- Woman arrested for cooking after reopening of Kejetia Market
- Saudi government provides parcels to Muslims ahead of Ramadan