The Ghana Health Service has refuted claims made by the African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA) Secretariat that a Covid-19 test conducted at the Kotoka International Airport on the Secretary General, Wamkele Mene produced a false positive.

According to the GHS, AfCFTA’s claim is inaccurate.

They stated that the test was part of measures to reduce the importation of the virus into the country following the reopening of the airport on September 1, 2020 by President Akufo-Addo.

“To reduce further importation of Covid-19 into the country, several measures were instituted at the airport. These included the presentation of a negative PCR test for Covid-19, which is not more than 72 hours old prior to departure to Ghana by all passengers, and a mandatory antigen test on arrival at the airport.”

They also mentioned that to avert a surge in cases as being witnessed in other countries across the globe, persons who test positive for Covid-19 are “mandatorily isolated for seven days at government-designated facilities or a hotel. The person is tested again and clinically assessed by the Ghana Health Service before he or she is discharged.”

The GHS statement follows a claim by the AfCFTA Secretariat that the Secretariat General, Wamkele Mene had received a false positive Covid-test result at KIA.

According to the AfCFTA Secretariat, following the positive test result at KIA, Mr Mene went into quarantine whilst receiving guidance and advice from his medical team, who advised he took another test.

The independent tests had turned out negative raising concerns about the efficacy of the KIA Covid-19 tests.

They stated that prior to the KIA Covid-19 test, “he [Wamkele Mene] received the Johnson & Johnson (J & J) vaccine, which should provide him with an additional measure of protection. His Excellency continues to adhere to all prescribed Covid 19 protocols.”

However, the GHS says they do not recognize the results of the independent tests carried out on the Mr. Mene due to the fact that it wasn’t sanctioned by them.

As a result, as far as the GHS is concerned, the Secretariat General “is to remain in isolation until the completion of the statutory seven-day isolation period, and is discharged, as per the Covid-19 protocols issued by the President of the Republic.”