President Akufo-Addo has set in motion, processes to determine whether or not Chief Justice, Kwasi Anin-Yeboah, should be removed from office.
This follows a petition by pressure group, Alliance for Social Equity and Public Accountability (ASEPA), demanding the removal of the Chief Justice.
A letter written to the Executive Director of ASEPA by Secretary to the President Nana Bediatuo Asante indicates that the President has commenced the appropriate processes.
The Chief Justice (CJ) has been in the news in recent weeks, following allegations by a private legal practitioner, Akwasi Afrifa, that he had asked for a $5 million bribe to deliver a favourable judgment in a case involving his (Akwasi Afrifa’s) client.
Justice Anin-Yeboah has since denied the allegations and asked the Police CID to probe the matter.
ASEPA contends the CJ is unfit to hold office and wants him removed.
Under Article 146(6) of Ghana’s constitution, the President upon receipt of such a petition, must act in consultation with the Council of State to appoint a committee consisting of two Justices of the Supreme Court and three other persons who are not members of the Council of State, nor Members of Parliament, nor lawyers to inquire into the petition and make a recommendation.
Under the constitutional procedure, the committee’s proceedings shall be held in camera with the Chief Justice offered an opportunity to defend himself or do so through a lawyer or any expert of his choice.
The President reserves the right to suspend the Chief Justice even before the inquiry terminates, with the advice of the Council of State.
- Must it take you 2 years to publish alleged $1m bribery audio? – Barker-Vormawor’s integrity questioned
- Cecilia Dapaah case: Asking Special Prosecutor to quit over ‘frustrations’ wrong – Domelevo
- Cecilia Dapaah case: Current Assets Declaration Law is a joke – Domelovo
- Africa World Airlines marks 11th anniversary with exciting passenger rewards and expansion drive
- #OccupyJulorbiHouse: Roads blocked as protesters march towards Jubilee House
- Cedi remains relatively stable since February 2023; Y-T-D depreciation to dollar stands at 22.5%
- LaLiga: Barcelona beat Celta Vigo after dramatic comeback
- Premier League: Calvert-Lewin helps Everton end winless start against Brentford
- Premier League: Ten-man Man City beat Nottingham Forest despite Rodri red card
- Ghanaian musicians die paupers; GHAMRO, MUSIGA are a mess – D-Black
- #OccupyJulorbiHouse: Policeman sits on the floor to plead with demonstrators to unblock roads
- Cecilia Dapaah case: Let’s tread cautiously as investigations continue – Domelevo
- UEFA awards Mohammed Kudus’ second goal to him after initially declaring it own goal against Backa Topola
- Cecilia Dapaah case: People must guard against contempt in commentary – Gary Nimako
- The Career Trail: Quitting banking for jewellery business; Ella Cadie’s bold career shift