Audio By Carbonatix
The Circuit Court at Juaso in the Asante Akyem South Municipality of the Ashanti Region has granted an interim injunction restraining organisers of a planned anti-galamsey demonstration scheduled for March 13, 2026.
The application was filed by the Municipal Security Committee (MUSEC), which argued that the planned protest could trigger unrest in the municipality.
According to court documents, the demonstration was being organised by a group of local leaders from Atwedie, including former Assembly Member Nana Baah Appenteng, Chairman of the Coalition of Atwedie Cocoa Farmers, Kofi Boateng, Assembly Member for the Atwedie Electoral Area Patrick Karikari Antwi, and Afia Korkor, a member of the coalition.
The organisers had earlier notified police of their intention to hold a peaceful protest against galamsey in the area.
Police in Juaso, in consultation with MUSEC, initially granted permission for the protest to proceed.
However, MUSEC later told the court that intelligence reports suggested the demonstration could degenerate into violence.
The security committee, therefore, asked the court to declare that the planned demonstration could bring chaos to the municipality and to restrain the organisers from proceeding with the event.
The court subsequently granted the interim injunction, temporarily halting the anti-galamsey demonstration while the matter is determined.
The organisers are expected to respond to the suit within eight days after being served with the writ.
Latest Stories
-
Ronaldinho seeks 300th goal with comeback aged 46
3 hours -
Your voice, your future – Opare Addo opens National Youth Forum 2026
3 hours -
GRA pushes data-driven tax administration to boost revenue mobilisation
4 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Presby SHS, Bompata crushes Sacred Heart’s hopes of reaching one-eighth stage
4 hours -
Africa Golf Tourism Convention opens in South Africa to unlock opportunities
4 hours -
BOGISS alleged sexual assault: Dr Apaak demands protection for autism victim
4 hours -
GTEC trains tertiary officials on new affiliation quality assurance framework
4 hours -
Luv FM High School Debate: OKESS, OSASS silence K’Wey Gey and KASS in fierce round of 16
4 hours -
Alcaraz to play US Open after four months out
4 hours -
Even if all foreigners leave, South Africa’s problems will remain – Dr Yamson blames state failure
4 hours -
Mahama announces GH¢500m district housing programme; rollout to begin this year
4 hours -
Energy Committee yet to receive July 29 blackout report – Adomako-Mensah
5 hours -
Five in six Ghana health facilities fall short of basic sanitation standard – WHO/UNICEF
5 hours -
Mohammed Fuseini in talks over Troyes move from Union SG
5 hours -
‘Bear with the system’ – Energy Ministry says temporary power control room to be ready by September
5 hours