Audio By Carbonatix
The Ghana Police Service has provided an update on the number of casualties from the explosion that occurred at Apeatse in the Western Region on Thursday.
According to the Director of Public Affairs of the Service, officially, 190 casualties were recorded by the National Ambulance Service and allied agencies. "Out of that, 13 are certified to be dead, it is not 17."
ACP Kwesi Ofori, said four victims are reported to be in critical condition at the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital (KATH).
“Initially due to their condition, it was misreported that they were dead but were taken to the hospital, the medical officers certified that they were not clinically dead. As such, they were admitted and treatment is ongoing,” he stated.
He revealed that a total of 36 people have been admitted to various hospitals.
Again, he noted that 96 victims have so far been treated and discharged, adding that they are however expected “to report to the medical centres as and when necessary.
Commenting on the number of displaced persons, he said NADMO sources confirmed that about 384 people are displaced.
ACP Kwesi Ofori indicated that the Police are ready to offer protection to the displaced persons in the town.
“As even I speak, our presence here, those houses that have not been destroyed; those that have been destroyed the Police are there to protect the properties; the Police are here to protect the individuals here and at the displaced centres,” he said.
The Police Public Affairs head added that protection would be extended to the hospitals where the victims have been admitted.
ACP Ofori assured that the Police would continue to “work in concert with other security services to ensure that they gain back their lives.”
Meanwhile, government has presented a cash donation of GH₵200,000 to the victims and bereaved families of the Apeatse explosion.
The Vice-President, Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia made the cash donation on Friday when he visited the displaced residents who have been given temporary shelter at the St. Michael’s Catholic Parish, Bogoso.
The Vice-President presented several relief items, including mattresses, boxes of mosquito nets and coil, blankets, and food items.
Latest Stories
-
Gender Minister inspects nutrition training for School Feeding caterers in Northern Region
4 seconds -
GoldBod to fund rehabilitation of six water treatment plants affected by mining
5 minutes -
ORC challenges CSA cybersecurity sanction, says penalty was premature and procedurally unfair
7 minutes -
GoldBod to introduce gold traceability system by end of 2026 – Sammy Gyamfi
14 minutes -
Photos: Eleventh batch of Ghanaian evacuees arrive from South Africa
15 minutes -
GETFund explains mandate as EFPI expands partnerships to support Ghana’s education sector
20 minutes -
US$4.8bn SME financing gap exposes Ghana’s credit challenge — A call for swift implementation of open banking, open finance reforms
23 minutes -
Ghana is open to responsible mining, investment – Minerals Commission
29 minutes -
Driver busted with cocaine at Accra International Airport
31 minutes -
GoldBod to launch digital gold platform for Ghanaians, Africans
37 minutes -
NPP will reinstate Torkornoo when we return to power – Afenyo-Markin hints
39 minutes -
We’ll establish a Gold Village in Accra next year – Sammy Gyamfi
40 minutes -
Many Canadians are boycotting the US, so this is where they’re travelling instead
44 minutes -
Mining communities must be treated as development partners and economy shareholders – Sammy Gyamfi
49 minutes -
Nearly 9 metric tonnes gold refined locally this year – Sammy Gyamfi
50 minutes