Audio By Carbonatix
Apple (AAPL.O) held talks with DuckDuckGo to replace Alphabet's (GOOGL.O) Google as the default search engine for the private mode on Apple's Safari browser, the Bloomberg News reported on Wednesday, citing people familiar with the discussions.
The details of the talks are expected to be released later this week, according to the report, after Judge Amit Mehta, overseeing a federal antitrust suit against Google, ruled on Wednesday that he would unseal the testimony of DuckDuckGo CEO Gabriel Weinberg and Apple executive John Giannandrea.The talks about potential deals between Microsoft and Apple and DuckDuckGo and Apple will be unsealed, the report said, citing Mehta in an order from the bench.
Apple, DuckDuckGo and Google did not immediately respond to a Reuters request for comment.
Last month, the U.S. Department of Justice in a landmark U.S. trial argued Google, which has some 90% of the search market, illegally paid $10 billion annually to smartphone makers such as Apple and wireless carriers like AT&T (T.N) and others to be the default in search on their devices in order to stay on top.
Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella testified on Monday, saying that tech giants were competing for vast troves of content needed to train artificial intelligence, and complained Google was locking up content with expensive and exclusive deals with publishers.
He added that Microsoft had sought to make its Bing search engine the default on Apple smartphones but was rebuffed.
Latest Stories
-
Okada rider remanded over alleged theft
5 minutes -
Stop blaming young people for being unemployed, says Amazon’s UK boss
16 minutes -
Tennessee execution called off after failed lethal injection
25 minutes -
Jailed Vietnamese tycoon’s Birkin bags sell for more than $550K
36 minutes -
Elon Musk’s SpaceX postpones Starship launch
45 minutes -
Alberta to hold referendum on whether to remain in Canada
55 minutes -
Rubio says Cuba is threat to US as Havana accuses him of ‘lies’
1 hour -
Village in Juaben celebrates Villa win with parade
4 hours -
Three police officers to accompany 10,000 England fans at World Cup
4 hours -
Haaland and Odegaard head Norway World Cup squad
4 hours -
Up to 350 jobs under threat at Meta in Ireland
5 hours -
Arteta told of title win by crying son – while having barbecue
5 hours -
Meta settles social media addiction case with US school district
5 hours -
Southampton’s Eckert authorised spying missions
5 hours -
Foden and Palmer to miss out on World Cup squad
5 hours