Audio By Carbonatix
Soldiers are on standby for possible deployment to Minneapolis, a US defence official has told CBS News, the BBC's US partner.
The official said the 1,500 soldiers, currently in Alaska, are an option for the US president if he decided to use active duty military personnel, as anti-Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) demonstrations continued in the city on Saturday.
No decision has yet been made on whether to deploy the soldiers from Alaska, the official said.
Minnesota officials have urged protesters to stay orderly and peaceful during demonstrations after an ICE agent shot dead US citizen Renee Good earlier this month.
The soldiers are part of the 11th Airborne Division in Fort Wainwright, the official added.
It comes as a US federal judge issued an order limiting the crowd control tactics that can used by ICE agents towards "peaceful and unobstructive" protesters in Minneapolis.
Judge Katherine Menendez earlier ruled that federal agents cannot arrest or pepper spray peaceful demonstrations, including those monitoring or observing ICE agents.
The state's National Guard has been mobilised and placed on alert by Governor Tim Walz, and other law enforcement officers were deployed to Minneapolis ahead of the anti-ICE demonstrations.
Recent protests in the city were sparked by widespread action by ICE in the city, and follow Good's death on 7 January.
City leaders said Good was there as a legal observer of ICE activity.
But the Trump administration has called her a "domestic terrorist".
Good's death sparked protests across the country, with many people holding signs that read "Justice for Renee".
Latest Stories
-
Raúl Castro indictment threatens to ignite war between US and Cuba
9 minutes -
2026 Africa Bitcoin Day marked in Accra
13 minutes -
US sanctions Tanzanian police official over alleged torture of human rights activists
15 minutes -
Borrowing in April hit highest level since Covid
19 minutes -
NCCE urges students, young people to lead fight against corruption
26 minutes -
AI used to fake evidence that ended Korean actor’s career, say police
26 minutes -
Swiss Armed Forces delegation engages GAF over peacekeeping cooperation at Burma Camp
32 minutes -
Mahama launches $300m World Bank-funded secondary school improvement programme
45 minutes -
Nato chief welcomes US sending 5,000 troops to Poland
47 minutes -
NIA pushes mandatory biometric verification as digital identity reforms expand
53 minutes -
Dress properly for visa interviews; it can influence approval – Ghana’s Ambassador to US urges
1 hour -
Mahama unveils plans for second phase of ‘Big Push’ road programme for 2027
1 hour -
President Mahama assures Savannah Region of imminent electrification works
1 hour -
National Service Authority open to strategic partnerships – Ruth Dela Seddoh
1 hour -
Mahama pledges to end double-track system by 2027 through expansion of technical and vocational education
1 hour