Audio By Carbonatix
At least 40 fuel tankers were destroyed in Mali on Sunday when al Qaeda-linked insurgents who had declared a blockade on fuel imports to the country attacked a convoy of more than 100 vehicles under military escort, two sources said on Monday.
After the insurgent group, Jama'at Nusrat al-Islam wal-Muslimin (JNIM), announced the blockade last week, a source close to Mali's chamber of commerce said the country would run out of fuel within two weeks if supplies were completely cut off.
A truckers' union official told Reuters that around 40 fuel tankers were destroyed in the incident on Sunday, while a source close to JNIM said they had destroyed 80.
In a video message, the group's spokesperson took credit for the attack in the Kayes region in the west of the country, and said the Malian soldiers escorting the convoy had fled the scene.
Mali's army said in a statement it "suffered a terrorist attack" during a mission to secure people and goods on the road from Kayes to Bamako, but had reacted "vigorously".
A spokesperson for the army did not respond to a request for further comment on the number of fuel tankers destroyed.
The country's military government, which took power after coups in 2020 and 2021, is facing growing pressure from militant groups who analysts say are trying to encircle cities and towns in the Sahel region.
Latest Stories
-
Panic in Sunyani: Chiefs to perform rituals after mystery deaths of two successive headteachers
35 minutes -
The party has lost ground – Paul Afoko breaks long silence to launch NPP comeback
56 minutes -
“It is worrying” – Prof. Akosa sounds alarm over failing medical ethics
2 hours -
World Cup reality check: Mexico beat fringe Black Stars 2-0 in Puebla friendly
2 hours -
Black Stars lose 2-0 to Mexico in pre-World Cup friendly in Puebla
3 hours -
Free speech: MFWA slams ‘weaponisation’ of state laws
3 hours -
Senegal president sacks PM Sonko, dissolves government after months of friction
3 hours -
NITA defends ICT fees, rejects claims of ‘digital coup’
4 hours -
UN releases $60m from central fund to tackle lethal Ebola outbreak
4 hours -
“Put people first” – Vice-President tells global financial giants at ACI Congress
6 hours -
Vice-President commissions 100 new Metro Mass buses
6 hours -
“You do not need my permission” – Bagbin clears misconception over arresting MPs
7 hours -
Ice baths, almond milk, meditation and a ‘house like a hospital’: The secrets of Salah’s success
7 hours -
Lupita Nyong’o rejects criticism of Helen of Troy role
8 hours -
This Saturday on Prime Insight: GN Savings and Loans licence restoration and the Abronye bail debate
8 hours