Audio By Carbonatix
At least six people have been killed and 11 others injured after multiple explosions rocked a high school and educational centre in western Kabul on Tuesday, April 19.
It was not immediately clear how many of the dead were students, but seven injured children were taken to a hospital run by the NGO Emergency, the organization said on Twitter.
"Security forces are at the scene and investigations underway," Kabul police chief spokesman Khalid Zadran said in a tweet, also giving the death toll.
He added that the Abdul Rahim Shaheed High School was hit with three explosions. The other facility attacked was the Mumtaz Educational Centre.
A spokesperson for the Muhammad Ali Jinnah Hospital in Kabul earlier gave CNN a higher number for those injured, saying that the blasts occurred in the Dasht-i-Barchi area of the Afghan capital, home to a large Shia Hazara community, a minority group previously targeted by extremists.
There has been no official claim of responsibility for the apparent attack, and it's possible the death toll could rise.
In May 2021, a bombing at the Sayed Al-Shuhada girls' school in the area killed at least 85 people, mostly teenage girls.
The Taliban denied any involvement in that attack and no militant groups claimed responsibility at the time.
Latest Stories
-
Lands Ministry investigates alleged involvement of National Security operatives in galamsey
4 minutes -
BoG confident cedi stability will be sustained
12 minutes -
Freddie Blay pledges support for Wontumi’s bid for NPP national chairmanship
33 minutes -
Accra–Tema train derails after collision with cow
38 minutes -
Five houses, nine vehicles buried in Adaklu Mountain mudslide
60 minutes -
India–Africa Forum Summit IV postponed following consultations over health concerns
1 hour -
We’re in a very good political environment — Dr Nduom after GN Bank licence restitution order
1 hour -
BoG CRR adjustment vindicates my position – Dr Gideon Boako
1 hour -
BoG pushes for connected African financial markets to unlock growth
1 hour -
FTF Impact Summit calls for stronger youth collaboration to drive Ghana’s development
1 hour -
Health Minister assures Ghana has recorded no Ebola cases despite WHO emergency declaration
2 hours -
Over 101,000 students benefit from No Academic Fees Policy for 2025/2026 – SLTF
2 hours -
NPP supporters in Tarkwa-Nsuaem protest alleged irregularities in internal elections
2 hours -
Adaklu-Helekpe residents gripped by fear following mountain mudslide
2 hours -
Former Attorney-General condemns Abronye DC’s detention after High Court grants bail
2 hours