The African Union (AU) has stated that effective January 1, 2021, it will usher in duty free and quota-free trade regime under the Africa Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA).
According to the Union, the existing trade tariff among member states would be lifted.
The free trade initiative is expected to cover 1.2 billion markets in several countries associated with the union.
Speaking at the second national conference of the AfCFTA held in Ghana, President Nana Akufo-Addo indicated that the initiative is another historic step that would benefit all Africans.
The ECOWAS Chair said AfCFTA would not only boost Intra African Trade but would also ensure the diversity of exportation and guarantee job opportunities for the continent.
He reiterated that the challenge of food security in Africa would be a thing of the past.
“AfCFTA would stimulate innovation and investment, foster structural transformation, enhance economic growth and assist entrepreneurial dynamism of the African people,” he added.
He urged Ghanaian businesses to explore the benefits of the initiative to expand productivity, improve the value-added chain, and make Ghana a new manufacturing hub.
He stated “government is fully committed to the implementation of the AfCFTA. With the collective desire for shared prosperity, we are confident that the AfCFTA would succeed and generate a new impact on the rapid growth of Africa’s economy and deepen the integration and unity in Africa.”
Several distinguished personalities who honoured the event include Wamkele Mene, the Secretary-General of the AfCFTA Secretariat; the Minister OF Trade and Industry, Alan John Kyerematen; among others.
- Citi FM journalist gained access to National Security premises under false pretences – Chief Director
- NSMQ 2021: Mfantsipim destroys Adisadel, University Practice and Assin State College to win Central Regional Championship
- Don’t reduce our schools to ideological and religious fighting grounds – Akufo-Addo tells religious leaders
- I feared for my life so I lied about being an Ewe – Caleb Kudah
- GPL wrap: Kotoko extend gap at top after Olympics surrender lead
- Dzata Cement denies claims of selling product at ¢30 per bag
- Information Minister visits Citi FM over alleged assault on 2 of its journalists
- Coach Paa Kwasi Fabin names 27-man Black Meteors squad to face Japan
- Akufo-Addo visits France, Belgium and South Africa as part of post-Covid-19 engagements
- Caleb Kudah didn’t breach Code of Ethics – GJA General Secretary
ADB denies shifting from core business to real estate
CSIR to revive Scientific Instrumentation to take care of faulty equipment
Affail Monney beats a retreat and apologises for ‘any misimpression’
Boys development advocate calls for global observance of World Day For the Boy
Papa’s Pizza donates boxes of pizza to Chief Imam
Full text: Affail Monney’s apology statement over attack on Citi FM journalists
Yamkela Makupula: Decolonising Africa’s economies is the solution to an integrated continent
NRSA upscales road safety measures on highways
Enterprise Life names Diana Hamilton and Kofi Kinaata as brand ambassadors
Information Minister visits Citi FM over alleged assault on 2 of its journalists
Domestic violence still rife in Upper West Region – Action Aid Ghana
Tokyo 2020: United States track and field team cancels pre-Olympic training in Japan
NCCE urges security agencies to be neutral
Aymeric Laporte switch from France to Spain approved by Fifa
Zoe Abu-Baidoo declined our invitation – National Security defends ‘Rambo-style’ invasion of Citi FM premises