Audio By Carbonatix
Authorities in the Amansie West District are investigating a suspected cyanide contamination in local water sources, prompting emergency action from government and community stakeholders. District Coordinating Director Thomas Okrah Kwame confirmed that the chemical, reportedly smuggled into the district for illegal mining, poses serious health and environmental risks.

“It’s been confirmed that the use of cyanide is illegal. It’s something new that we don’t use in our years of mining activities in the country. I declare it a ‘no-go area’… so far as the use of cyanide in leaching of gold is concerned,” Okrah Kwame warned.
The emergency stakeholder meeting brought together representatives from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), District Security Council (DISEC), National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO), Asanko Gold Mines, and the Ghana National Small Scale Miners Association to assess the threat and plan containment measures.
The response follows a joint police–immigration operation two weeks ago that arrested 22 Burkinabè nationals suspected of smuggling cyanide into local communities. Laboratory tests confirmed the substances were cyanide, likely intended for illegal gold mining operations.

EPA officials cautioned that even small amounts of cyanide in water could have severe consequences for human and animal health. Asanko Gold Mines experts highlighted the strict safety protocols in licensed mining operations, contrasting them with the reckless handling by illegal miners.
Traditional authorities expressed concerns over the safety of local communities. Omankyeame of Manso Nkwanta, Nana Asare Frimpong, called for stronger border security and wider environmental checks. “They should strengthen the security at the borders. The task forces and EPA should go to other communities to ascertain whether their environment is also polluted. We won’t use that money to buy death or sickness for ourselves,” he said.
Community leaders echoed the urgency of the matter. Assembly Member for Manso, Monica Osei-Kyei, said: “When I learnt about the dangers of these chemicals, in fact, I panicked. Even inhaling the chemicals can cause breathing difficulties. We need to start serious sensitisation.”
At the grassroots level, Unit Committee Chairman for the Akropong Electoral Area, Gabriel Owusu, vowed vigilant monitoring. “We are going to stand on our grounds and look out for people who use that. We will fish them out,” he stated.
A joint EPA–NADMO–DISEC team has begun visiting suspected contamination hotspots, with plans to extend assessments across all communities in the district. Authorities continue to urge residents to remain vigilant and report suspicious activities.
Okrah Kwame appealed to the public: “Say something when you see something. When they report, the DISEC will take it up and the appropriate sanctions will be meted.”
Latest Stories
-
They were losing 4-0 as hosts. They won the whole tournament
50 seconds -
Health Ministry cautions public against spreading misinformation over Ebola outbreak in DR Congo
4 minutes -
Security agencies engage Akyeode community to maintain calm after Nkwanta incident
9 minutes -
Today’s front pages: Monday, May 18, 2026
16 minutes -
Police intercept ammunition in Nkwanta, arrest two suspects
23 minutes -
Afoko’s former headteacher vouches for his integrity; rallies support for his NPP Chairman bid
38 minutes -
Mahama to address 79th World Health Assembly on health sovereignty for Global South
58 minutes -
Where’s My Johnny…Reflecting on one year without you, John-Carpus
1 hour -
Mining, ownership and development: The questions we must honestly ask ourselves
2 hours -
Franklin Cudjoe urges discipline in implementation of IMF PCI programme
2 hours -
Northern Region NPP office project: Afoko donates 400 bags of cement and GH¢30,000
2 hours -
Mpraeso MP donates GH₵50k to market women after relocation concerns
2 hours -
Yeji Traditional Council to relocate residents for 24-hour economy market project
2 hours -
Haruna Mohammed defends Wontumi over Exim Bank loan Charges
2 hours -
Gov’t commits to fully recapitalising Bank of Ghana by 2032
2 hours