The Governor of the Bank of Ghana has said even though government has projected a 0.9 per cent growth for end year, he is optimistic that growth would strongly pick up more than what has been forecasted by Finance Minister.
At a Monetary Policy Committee meeting, he said regarding the rising deficit and total public debt stock which now stand at ¢258 billion, it would all depend on the sector that the funds would be advanced, which could help stimulate growth.
Activities of the receiver of the defunct financial institutions
Dr Ernest Addison also disclosed that the receiver appointed to liquidate some of the commercial banks has been able to realise ¢2 billion.
On payment, the Governor noted that more than 96 per cent of the customers of the defunct Savings and Loans and Microfinance institutions have been paid.
Dr Addison was, however, hopeful that the remaining funds would be paid soon.
Ghana cedi and half year performance
The Ghana cedi has witnessed some pressure in recent times, but the Governor assures of having the adequate reserves to support the local currency.
Dr Addison said forecast is also based on our export earnings also picking up strongly.
He was, however, worried about the recent payments and outflows, adding “We have received a lot of resources in the first half of this year, however, the outflows have also been very significant.”
The Governor argued that when you look at outstanding payments of non-resident outstanding bonds and this is really a question of net inflows.
- Playback: Akufo-Addo delivers 25th address on measures taken against Covid-19
- Taskforce destroys excavators allegedly belonging to NPP Women’s Organiser
- Fuel prices to go up again – Chamber of Petroleum Consumers Ghana
- Cameron Duodu: Sɛbe o, tafrakyɛ, na ‘Ɔte K’ɔkɔɔ Soɔ’ deɛ, yɛbɔ n’ano sɛn? – With all due respect, how can the occupant of the Golden Stool be silenced?
- Kokomba warriors kill human-attacking antelopes
- 23-year-old arrested for attempting to sacrifice his nephew for money rituals
- Mahama’s ‘dumsor’ is different from Akufo-Addo’s – Kweku Awotwi
- Armed men attack NPP Communicator
- 2nd dose of Covid-19 vaccines to be deployed from May 19 – Akufo-Addo
- Full text: Akufo-Addo’s 25th address on measures to deal with Covid-19 pandemic
2 dead, 3 injured and others displaced following heavy downpour in Ashanti Region
Okyeame Kwame and wife launch their first book ‘Love Locked Down’
Ter Stegen ruled out of Germany’s Euros plans with knee problem that will require surgery at Barcelona
Digital transformation will determine success of corporate Ghana post-Covid – Ernest De-Graft Egyir
Standards Authority sets standards to regulate sale of eggs
Leicester issue Chelsea apology over Daniel Amartey FA Cup actions
At least 20 cattle shot and wounded after herdsmen allegedly stab man at Abrewankor
If you don’t fix health system, outcome won’t improve irrespective of procurement you make – Asiedu Sarpong
Ongoing financial re-engineering of the power sector is positive – Kweku Awotwi
Armed robbers jailed for robbing, raping pregnant woman
Government exceeds T-Bills target by 3% after slump in recent weeks
Centre for Social Justice and IMANI honour former Auditor General, Domelevo
KIC holds final pitch for 2020 AgriTech Challenge competition
New Juaben Assembly revokes permit for statue after family sued Paramount Chief for ordering its destruction
1975 Sekondi College year group visits alma mater