The Bank of Ghana has increased the policy rate by 300 basis points to 22%, after an Emergency Monetary Policy Committee meeting today, August 17th, 2022.
The move is part of measures to address the risks to the inflation outlook.
However, cost of borrowing is expected to go up significantly, and consequently increase cost of living and doing business.
The MPC also took additional measures including raising the primary reserve requirement of banks from 12% to 15% to be implemented in a phased manner.
Therefore, the reserve requirement will go up to 13% from September 1st, 2022 and subsequently to 14% by October 1st, 2022 and then 15% by November 1st, 2022.
To boost the supply of foreign exchange to the economy, the Bank of Ghana, said it is working collaboratively with the mining firms, international oil companies, and their bankers to purchase all foreign exchange arising from the voluntary repatriation of export proceeds from mining, and oil and gas companies.
This it believes will strengthen the central bank’s foreign exchange auctions, and consequently the cedi.
In July 2022, the MPC of the Bank of Ghana kept the policy rate at 19%, citing risks to inflation but balance to growth.
- Nigerian singer Teni gifts SHS teacher a car
- Ghana’s debt stock up ¢9bn to ¢402.4bn in July 2022 – BoG
- Akufo-Addo’s fight against illegal mining is a complete ‘419’ – Sammy Gyamfi
- British officials release date for King Charles III’s coronation
- Court orders CID Boss to provide safety report on alleged bride killers
- ‘I have given up on dating; guys do not take me seriously’ – Comedienne Jacinta
- My vehicle was set ablaze on Samatex premises – Wontumi alleges
- FDA concurs with WHO’s caution against four substandard paediatric medicines found in The Gambia
- Black Sherif didn’t lose BET, his nomination is a win – Reggie Rockstone
- Posterity will judge Akufo-Addo, other leaders meanly if galamsey fight is not won – Gabby Otchere-Darko
- Halt PPP arrangement for a laboratory facility – Medical Laboratory Professionals tell government
- Nima Dreams: A documentary about how lack of infrastructure is affecting talent growth
- Opanin Kwadwo Taah (Alias Papa J. K.)
- Submit report on persons responsible for infractions in Auditor-General’s report – Akufo-Addo charges SIGA, A-G
- Gerald Akwasi Koranteng
- Criticism that BoG was too slow in dealing with inflation is unfair – Economist
- Stonebwoy to feature Kenya’s Khaligraph Jones in new single
- Black Sherif’s ‘Oh Paradise’ about late girlfriend gets fans emotional
- Don’t blame us for worsening inflation rate – BoG tells World Bank
- Blunt Thoughts: Losing from both ends – Our natural resources in crisis and our economy in tatters
- Total Mobile Money transactions fall by 2% year-on-year in August 2022; E-levy impact marginal
- IBAG to celebrate Insurance Brokers’ Awareness Month this October
- GRA locks up popular event center ‘Underbridge’
- NSMQ 2022: Competing schools arrive on KNUST campus ahead of prelims
- ‘Galamsey’ got worse under Mahama – NPP tells NDC