The relative strong performance of the cedi this year has been largely attributed to the Bank of Ghana’s intervention in the forex market and diversified exports market, rather than a weaker US dollar.
Bloomberg reported that the dollar’s historical position as the global reserve currency is in jeopardy because of steps the U.S. has taken to save its economy during the Covid-19 pandemic.
But Currency Analyst, Courage Boti of Databank Research explains to Joy Business that multiplicity of factors have rather facilitated the stronger performance of the cedi compared to previous years.
According to him, most countries dependent on oil have seen their external balances grow weaker during this COVID period, hence the plummet in their currencies.
Citing some African countries and comparing them to Ghana, he said Ghana is doing well.
“You see countries like Nigeria, their year-to-year has depreciated by close to 18 percent. The countries like South Africa at some point had depreciated by 23 percent. Currently Zambia is close to 30 percent depreciation against the USD”, he said.
“And you compare that to Ghana’s 2.93 percent depreciation, it tells you that the impact of diversification has been very great in this whole performance and you saw that in the half-year data Bank of Ghana put out there”, he further pointed out.
He emphasized that Ghana did relatively well though overall export was not great.
“Yes our overall [Ghana] export value is not as great, the growth is not as great and then import has reduced somewhat. It could have been worse but for the rally in gold prices and the increased volume for gold and cocoa”, said Mr. Boti
The cedi has since this year lost about 0.83% to the dollar on the retail market but depreciated by about 2.8% on the interbank market.
Comparing cedi to other SSA currencies
Ghana’s cedi is the eight best performing currency on the African continent despite starting the year as the best performing currency in the first two months.
It is, however, second in the ECOWAS sub-region, behind the CFA franc, among currencies tracked by joy Business.
The CFA franc, used by eight ECOWAS countries, is the best performing currency on the African continent with an appreciation of 5.69% against the US dollar .
It is followed by the Moroccan dirham (4.03%), Tunisian dinar (2.39%) and Egyptian pound (0.70%) which have all increased in value against the American currency year-to-date.
Based on the current trend, the cedi is expected to end 2020 with a year-to-date depreciation of less than 5.0%. This would be however better than the 8.33% loss over the same period last year.
- Supreme Court dismisses case against regulation of plant breeders
- ‘Do I look like a fraudster?’ – Shatta Wale reacts to calls for FBI probe over his affiliation with Hajia4Reall
- Barker-Vormawor refuses to state his plea as he is slapped with fresh Treason charges
- I paid GH₵30,000 to fix my body – TikToker Aba Dope
- Gyakye Quayson to contest Assin North seat again in June 27 by-election
- Gyakye Quayson can vie for Assin North seat; it’s a calculated risk – Amaliba
- 7 reported dead, several others injured in renewed Gonja – Mamprusi clash
- ‘It’s disappointing’ – Bofoakwa Tano coach on not being able to lead the team in Ghana Premier League
- Assin North by-election: NPP closes nomination as two persons pick forms
- Two villages in North Gonja burnt down in renewed violence between Mamprusi and Gonja
- Chiefs endorsing candidates and political parties unconstitutional – Supreme Court
- Ketu North: Re-run parliamentary primary to avert apathy – Group to NDC
- 3-year IMF deal not enough – Finance Expert
- ECG intensifies revenue mobilisation exercise in Volta and Oti Regions
- Nigeria MPs want $25bn spent to fix refineries probed
- ‘I will do everything for Treble’ – Erling Haaland
- Referee Anthony Taylor attacked by Roma fans [VIDEO]
- World Hunger Day: Government urged to encourage science, technology and innovation in agriculture
- Today’s front pages: Friday, June 2, 2023
- World Bank: Ghana likely to receive first tranche of $300 million by September if … – Frank Laporte
- Man slashes wife for asking for divorce
- How gun violence is reshaping American lives
- Police arrest three persons, pursuing others in connection with attacks on Mempeasem and Lukula communities in Savannah region
- Hohoe Astroturf stadium 85% complete – Site Manager
- Hypertension in pregnancy could lead to premature delivery