Audio By Carbonatix
Brazil's Supreme Court has ordered that right-wing former president Jair Bolsonaro begin serving his prison sentence of 27 years and three months for plotting a coup after he lost the last election.
Justice Alexandre de Moraes on Tuesday ruled that the case had reached its final judgment and that no further appeals were possible.
Bolsonaro, 70, was found guilty of leading a conspiracy aimed at keeping him in power after he lost the 2022 election to his left-wing rival, Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva.
He will begin serving his sentence in a federal police jail cell in the capital, Brasilia, where he has been detained since Saturday after being deemed a flight risk and removed from home detention.
At a hearing on Sunday, Bolsonaro admitted trying to open his ankle monitor with a soldering iron until he "came to his senses", court documents show.
He said he had had no intention of fleeing and blamed medicine-induced "paranoia" for damage he caused to the monitor.
Justice Moraes on Tuesday mandated that full-time medical care be given to Bolsonaro, whose medical team has previously said he is suffering from worsening health.
Supreme Court justices said in September, when Bolsonaro was found guilty of plotting a coup, that he had known of plans to assassinate Lula and his vice-presidential running mate, Geraldo Alckmin, and to arrest and execute Moraes, who has been overseeing Bolsonaro's trial.
The conspiracy failed to get the backing of the army and air force commanders. Lula was sworn in without incident on 1 January 2023.
But a week later, on 8 January, thousands of Bolsonaro supporters stormed government buildings in Brasília. The security forces intervened and about 1,500 people were arrested.
The justices found that the rioters had been incited by Bolsonaro, whose plan, they said, was for the military to step in and return him to power.
Bolsonaro was also barred from running for public office until 2060 - eight years after the end of his sentence.
The former president called the trial a "witch hunt" designed to prevent him running in the 2026 presidential election.
Justice Moraes also ordered on Tuesday that others found guilty of being Bolsonaro's co-conspirators must begin their sentences.
They include Gen Augusto Heleno, former minister for institutional security, and Gen Paulo Sérgio Nogueira de Oliveira, former defence minister.
Latest Stories
-
Ghana-eligible midfielder Kofi Amoako joins Hamburg from Dynamo Dresden
3 minutes -
Mahama commissions Yamoransa Model Lab 13 to advance STEM and digital skills training
19 minutes -
Youth Ministry says nearly 90,000 young people are employed under government programmes
2 hours -
Adaklu Mountain now a security zone – Volta Regional Minister
2 hours -
Volta Regional Minister assures PAC of stricter supervision of government projects
2 hours -
Can Parliament enforce its own laws?
2 hours -
ECG announces major transformer upgrade at Batsonaa – see the affected areas
3 hours -
Ghanaian released after 77 days in Burkinabe detention
3 hours -
Football Noise, Economic Silence
3 hours -
Replacing Haruna and Muntaka in Parliament was strategic for Election 2024 – Asiedu Nketia, Osei Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu explain the plot
3 hours -
Security service recruitment medical results to be released next week – Interior Minister
3 hours -
Ghana’s tech prodigies set for Geneva after triumphant ‘Robotics for Good’ national qualifiers
3 hours -
World Bank document shows 27 countries seeking to ensure access to crisis funds
3 hours -
Mahama says Ghana’s IMF programme was close to derailment before he took over
3 hours -
Uganda confirms 3 new Ebola cases, bringing total to 5
3 hours