The British High Commissioner to Ghana, Harriet Thompson, during one of her visits to the northern part of Ghana, received a token she did not expect.
It was a goat. The move was a warm farewell gesture from some residents who appreciated her courtesy call.
Taking to social media, she shared a picture of the animal at the back of a pick-up truck.
“I was gifted a goat. Its name will be Light Soup,” she wrote.
I was gifted a goat. Its name will be Light Soup 😉 pic.twitter.com/q2c07XjA5V— Harriet Thompson (@HCThompson001) August 17, 2022
Harriet Thompson toured different parts of the northern sector including the border communities in the Upper West.
So how do you let the people who need to pass freely do so, while stopping those you need to?— Harriet Thompson (@HCThompson001) August 18, 2022
Trust within communities and between communities and enforcement agencies is crucial. At Gitong, after a warm welcome, we learned how a 🇬🇧 project started to build that trust. pic.twitter.com/wUANpYfVF8
Y3yaane from Wa, and barika for such a warm welcome.— Harriet Thompson (@HCThompson001) August 16, 2022
My first visit to Upper West is an opportunity to learn about the culture and traditions and to understand the political, social, economic and security issues in this beautiful part of the country.
Say hello if you see us! pic.twitter.com/PYDmhsaVcD
She met the Wa Naa, the Upper West Regional Minister and shared videos of her interactions with the people in the area.
And their traditional attire is just gorgeous 🤩 And we danced! pic.twitter.com/kIp56iJXCo— Harriet Thompson (@HCThompson001) August 16, 2022
Thank you for your time Hon Min for Upper West Dr Hafiz Bin-Salih.— Harriet Thompson (@HCThompson001) August 16, 2022
Meeting you and your Regional Security Committee was a great intro to the 🇬🇭🇬🇧 partnership on the ground and the priorities for the region. pic.twitter.com/XBVqKy0xC5
Harriet Thompson also shared with her followers how a UK back-to-school programme has massively improved the lives of young girls in the area.
Don’t take my word for it! Here’s the chief of Ullo talking about the impact of this project and the importance of educating girls. pic.twitter.com/0cmJ7OQbiU— Harriet Thompson (@HCThompson001) August 18, 2022
She again posted images she took of the communities she visited.
Whenever I get to visit a new part of beautiful #Ghana, it’s always a pleasure to experience the culture, craft and food.— Harriet Thompson (@HCThompson001) August 17, 2022
At the Center for National Culture in Wa we saw woori weaving and tasted tubani, TZ and zunkom. A real treat! pic.twitter.com/YlYgRdADyr
Went to the top of Ghana today to pay respects to Hon Kuoro Kuri-Buktie Limann IV, Paramount Chief of Gwollu.— Harriet Thompson (@HCThompson001) August 17, 2022
Saw two sites protected so future generations can learn from the past: Gwollu Slave Defence Wall and the tomb of Dr Hilla Limann, President in Ghana’s Third Republic. pic.twitter.com/VY9iNreLtJ
Upper West is beautifully green at this time of year…— Harriet Thompson (@HCThompson001) August 17, 2022
…But it won’t stay that way as long as charcoal is the main cooking fuel. What are the alternatives, how can fuel efficiency be improved?
- Chinese nationals release dogs on GRA tax officers at quarry site
- Police pursue Caprice robbery suspects
- Beautiful photos drop as Mahama’s son and Algerian wife welcome their 1st child
- Domestic Debt Exchange: Time ticks for bondholders
- Alan Kyerematen’s campaign song pops up at Kufuor’s 84th birthday bash
- Some ministers I reshuffled are no more friends with me – Mahama
- 1$ now ¢12.80
- Kofi Kinaata’s ‘Made in Taadi’ 2022 edition cancelled
- Court discharges 6 Policemen accused of bullion van robberies
- Andre Ayew pays courtesy call on National Chief Imam with daughter
- Ukraine war: US says Iran now Russia’s ‘top military backer’
- Livestream: Newsfile discusses Minority’s failed censure motion and Ghana’s debt exchange programme
- US sports journalist dies in Qatar during Argentina v Netherlands game
- Kweku Antwi Boasiako: Etymology of husband and wife
- World Cup 2022: Brazil ‘in pain’ after exit on penalties against Croatia
- World Cup 2022: Messi the master as Argentina beat Netherlands in chaotic Qatar classic
- Newmont Ahafo Mine recognised for spearheading Agricultural Development in Ahafo
- DBG participates in AADFI CEOs FORUM for African DFIs
- Kuami Eugene, Adina, Joe Mettle, Lasmid and others to thrill fans at 2022 MTN Carols Night
- Government to set up Agricultural Development Zone in Northern Region
- Remembrance yields praises —Elder Nana Amo Tobin
- How long does it take to fall in love?
- Ghana Cedi: From worst to best performer against dollar
- COVID-19: Vulnerable populations face higher burden of morbidity and mortality – Health Minister
- George Floyd: Ex-officer J Alexander Kueng sentenced for manslaughter