Audio By Carbonatix
Gunmen have killed six people including a priest as Mass was being celebrated in a church in Dablo in northern Burkina Faso, officials say.
The attackers, said to number between 20 and 30, then burned down the church.
The town's mayor, Ousmane Zongo, said that there was panic as other buildings were burned down and a health centre looted.
Jihadist violence has flared in Burkina Faso since 2016, and this is the third attack on a church in five weeks.
Schools and teachers have also been targeted by the groups, who are opposed to Western education.
On Friday, French special forces carried out a rescue mission in northern Burkina Faso, freeing four hostages.
It is believed the four - two French citizens kidnapped in Benin, a South Korean and an American - were being driven to Mali to be handed over to the militant group, Katiba Macina. Two French soldiers died during the mission.
How did the attack unfold?
It began at about 09:00 (GMT and local time), during Mass. The mayor of Diablo, Mr Zongo told the AFP news agency: "Armed individuals burst into the Catholic church... They started firing as the congregation tried to flee. "There is an atmosphere of panic in the town. People are holed up in their homes, nothing is going on. The shops and stores are closed. It's practically a ghost town," he said. Security sources told AFP that reinforcements were being sent from Barsalogho, some 45km (30 miles) to the south. A local journalist told the BBC those killed included church elders and that residents were angry that soldiers in a nearby base did not respond promptly.Who could be behind the attack?
Islamist groups have been blamed for a number of attacks in the West African nation in recent years. Fighters affiliated to al-Qaeda and the Islamic State group, as well as the local Ansarul Islam, have been active in the region. Last month, attackers targeted a Protestant church in the town of Silgadji, killing at least six people And earlier in April, four people died when a Catholic church was attacked in a nearby village, the bishop of Dori in northern Burkina Faso told Vatican news agency Fides.
Schools and teachers have also been targeted by the groups, who are opposed to Western education.
On Friday, French special forces carried out a rescue mission in northern Burkina Faso, freeing four hostages.
It is believed the four - two French citizens kidnapped in Benin, a South Korean and an American - were being driven to Mali to be handed over to the militant group, Katiba Macina. Two French soldiers died during the mission.
What's the wider picture?
Burkina Faso is among countries in the vast Sahel region battling Islamist insurgencies in the region. It formed a regional force, G5 Sahel, along with Niger, Chad, Mauritania and Mali to take on the militants. In January, PM Paul Kaba Thieba resigned amid growing pressure over a rise in kidnappings and jihadist attacks, and Christophe Joseph Marie Dabiré was named his replacement. France, a former colonial ruler in the region, has some 4,500 troops in four nations carrying out a mission codenamed Barkhane to counter-jihadists.DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Ghanaians death toll in Burkina Faso terror attack risen to 8
2 seconds -
Ken Ashigbey demands probe into 14 containers of changfang machines
6 minutes -
The NDC doesn’t need a southerner or northerner
8 minutes -
NSA assures service personnel of allowance payments by week’s end
15 minutes -
Why COCOBOD’s pay cut is a band-aid on a gaping national wound
15 minutes -
We cannot stop cross-border trade but must protect our traders – Dumelo
18 minutes -
Port security lapses exposed in importation of illegal mining machines – Ashigbey
22 minutes -
One-week observance in honour of Yaw Sarpong slated for February 19
25 minutes -
Ntim Fordjour urges high-level Ghana-Burkina Faso talks after killing of 7 Ghanaians
34 minutes -
Nhyiaeso MP calls for research-backed approach to mandatory tree crop proposal policy
43 minutes -
The impact of expanding fishing limits on local trawlers at Tema fishing harbour
51 minutes -
From “obroni wawu” to “asaase bewu”: Connecting Ghana’s used clothing dilemma to climate change
55 minutes -
Galamsey: MMDCEs, public officials found culpable will be prosecuted—Lands Ministry
57 minutes -
Lands Ministry begins stakeholder engagement on draft CREMA regulations
58 minutes -
We’re a nation of talkers who react to issues and go back to sleep—Sissala East MP
1 hour
